Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Transparent Windows with Shine?

Guest aonyn

Hi,I am working on my first aircraft in FSDS, and I created a glass texture with alpha. The transparency in FS is fine, but it looks almost like a satin plexiglass, just not as shiny as I would like. Is there a way to get reflectivity in the glass, as reflections use alpha as well?If not, how do I best get an impression of shininess?Thank you in advance for any advice.regards,Dave

You can get a great reflective effect in the glass. You want to make the material fairly opaque. I do this in two steps. I set up a material with these parameters:Diffuse 0 0 0 Alpha 128Ambient 64 64 64Specular 255 255 128 (this gives a golden "glint" of specular lighting on thw windows)Emisssive 0 0 0Specular power 128I then assign a glass texture with reflective properties, with the color black, and a fairly black alpha channel (usually between 16 16 16 and 32 32 32)It's the opacity that really helps the alpha on the texture turn into great looking reflections, which ties back to the alpha value of 128 in the material editor.-John

Guest aonyn

Thank You very much for the reply John.I am going to try that technique now.regards,Dave

Guest aonyn

Hi John,I just wanted to thank you again.I applied your glass technique and it is exactly what I was trying to achieve.regards,Dave