Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Best setting for fx_AI_ship_wake, etc.

Guest pecrowther

What are the best setings for:fx_AI_ship_wake_lfx_AI_ship_trail-of-sprayfx_sprayIn the Garwood cfg file, the settings are:light.0=1, -15.00, 0.00, -2.00, fx_AI_ship_wake_slight.1=1, -20.00, 0.00, -2.00, fx_AI_ship_trail-of-sprayIn the Endeavor cfg file, the setting are:light.0=1, 10.00, 0.00, -50.00, fx_AI_ship_wake_llight.1=1, -20.00, 0.00, -53.00, fx_AI_ship_trail-of-spraylight.2=1, 22.00, 0.00, -50.00, fx_sprayThese are AI effects files for ships.I have changed the last values and have ended up with either a completely white wake, with no transparency, or an invisible wake.Thanks,Phil

Hi Phil,There ARE NO best settings for a general effect.Meaning: the optimal settings (= x,y,z coordinates) of an effect depend on the datum position (="center" of the aircraft) defined for that aircraft, and are therefore aircraft-dependant.Note: these effect origin coordinates are in feet, relative to the datum.Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Guest pecrowther

Hi Rob,What are the variables that define the center of the aircraft? Is it the center of the model? Or does it have something to do with other aircraft.cfg variables like static_cg_height?I assume that you would want the wake effect to be around the center of the ship/aircraft at the waterline. So, the primary coordinate to adjust would be the "Z" coordinate.Thanks,Phil

"So, the primary coordinate to adjust would be the "Z" coordinate."Maybe not the primary one, but certainly the most important one.The "Y"coordinate (lateral offset) will probably allways be 0, while the "X" coordinate (longitidinal offset) depends on the lenght.At least for a wake effect, since the Z-coordinate (vertical offset)of the wake effect should obviously place the effect at exactly waterline level. And looking at your two examples: they obviously are "aircraft" (ships ??) with very different heights.Rob

Guest pecrowther

Rob,Looks like I have found a way to avoid the problem. Instead of using [LIGHTS], I used [EFFECTS]:concrete=fx_AI_ship_wake_lThat put it in the right location.However, I have run into another strange result. To create a steam effect, I am using:light.0=1, -12.00, 0.00, 60.00, fx_steam1However, at night, this creates a glow like a blast furnace. Any idea how to eliminate the glow?ThanksPhil

Guest pecrowther

Rob,Looks like I've solved the "glowing" problem too. I appended the body of fx_smoke1 to Holger's fx_AI_ship_wake_l (renumbering of course) and adjusted the height and inserted a shade=1 in the fx_smoke1 portion.It seems to have gotten rid of the glowing part for both effects. At night they are now almost invisible. During dusk and dawn, they are still brighter than they should be - but we can't have it all!Phil

Hi Phil,Glad you sorted it out.'Cause I'm afraid I can't help you with the contents of effect files...Cheers, Rob