Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

Compiling C Gauges

Guest pscarratt

Having played with XML for a while I have decided to give C gauge programming a go.I have read through the SDK and through the sd2gau17 documents and I think I have enough of a handle to start experimenting with gauge creation.However I am completely baffled by compiling.The compiler I have is MinGW and I also have the Dev-C++ IDE. I have successfully written and compiled small windows and console apps but I am not sure what to do get it compiling the gauges correctly.Can anyone give me some tips?Many thanks,

Guest bartels

You have to use the makefile method for compiling gauges. I don't know this specific IDE, but I worked with some and none of them gave the possibility to compile gauges (or I wasn't able to make them go). The sd2gau17 document also includes an example makefile. Long ago that I did a gauge with MinGW, so I might have forgotten a thing or two.Arne Bartels

Come on Arne! You don't forget nothing!!!Me on the otherhand, can't remember what I had for breakfast!!!I have never been able to get the later MinGW to complete a compile. I was hoping you or Dai would check the latest and update the tutorial will the needed changes.W. Sieffert

Guest pscarratt

If you guys don't use MinGW, whats the best/easiest compiler to use? (I'm not that fussed about the ide)Cheers,

Guest bartels

The easiest solution is also the most expensive: Visual C++ (-Studio,.NET, however named). On the other hand, you might get older versions quite cheaply, the minimum is VC++ 4.0. Another possibility is BCC (Borland C Compiler) available for free, the makefile for BCC is needed.Not sure about problems with new GCC versions, but I'm pretty sure GCC 2.95 works, and this version is still available as "previous" version.Arne Bartels

Guest zip

I use VS Studio 2003. It only took me 5 days to get it to compile, most of it was to coerce the project settings to behave (all defaults work for .NET, or C++ and MFC, but a DLLMain in a header file it didn't like one bit.It was an "envigorating" experience. Finally got it to work, and I only threw the keyboard out the window once. After you set it up correctly, it works wonderfully well, and the debugger is a delight, as usual with VS.The major issue once you get past the compilation errors are linker errors due to duplicates - and you have to be very specific as to which libraries to use, which to exclude, and to make sure that none of your header files get compiled twice (meaning just about every example you find needs to have a #ifdef #endif pair).Fly me an e-mail if you have questions about VS 2003 and gauges. No sense re-inventing the wheel, I got frustrated enough for several developers...

>The compiler I have is MinGW and I also have the Dev-C++ IDE.>I have successfully written and compiled small windows and>console apps but I am not sure what to do get it compiling the>gauges correctly.If you want to use MinGW, I can send you a makefile, which you can then edit for the gaugename, etc.Just drop me a note... n4gix@comcast.net

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Did the keyboard have the coiled cord, so that it sprung out to the max then recoiled and whacked you in the head? Hopefully, improved your software vision!!:-lolW. Sieffert

Hi Bill,Which version of MinGW are you using? I have have several 3.x versions that I have problems compiling.I take a copy of your makefile - wsieffert@cfl.rr.comW. Sieffert

Guest zip

Hi W.,probably a selling point for wireless keyboards? :)

>The easiest solution is also the most expensive: Visual C++>(-Studio,.NET, however named).I just bought a new, shrinkwrapped Visual C++ .Net Standard 2003 for $83 including shipping off of eBay. Hopefully, it will arrive in a few days and I can begin some serious work... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I use VS Studio 2003. It only took me 5 days to get it to>compile, most of it was to coerce the project settings to>behave (all defaults work for .NET, or C++ and MFC, but a>DLLMain in a header file it didn't like one bit.I just started trying to use VC++ 6.0... and get this error:nafxcwd.lib(dllmodul.obj) : error LNK2005: _DllMain@12 already defined in b767IRUDisplay.objnafxcwd.lib(dllmodul.obj) : warning LNK4006: _DllMain@12 already defined in b767IRUDisplay.obj; second definition ignoredI believe this is something along the lines of what you're mentioning above. How did you 'fix' it?Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69