Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robert Sanderson

What happened to Aircraft Design?

Guest bones

I was wondering if it was Bader's or Stanford Tuck's aircraft but I decided to shut up on that. :)I met Bader many years ago when he was regularly flying around the UK in a Baron. A man of few words but all of them distinct - I'll never forget his first utterance to me.."Get out of the bloody way!" he said.. :)boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Robert Sanderson

It looks great Andy. I'm new at this and wouldn't presume to criticize your work even if I saw something wrong, but I don't see anything at all that I could improve on. That wing looks incredible, and I would be intimidated by the task of animating all those parts.By contrast, my aircraft has a plain wing with simple split flaps, and I'm not at all happy with the way they turned out. One thing I learned from this project is you must plan in advance for every feature. For me, that's harder to accomplish than it sounds! Bill those 'details' are spectacular. I hope that one day I can learn to texture half as well."I met Bader many years ago when he was regularly flying around the UK in a Baron. A man of few words but all of them distinct - I'll never forget his first utterance to me.."Get out of the bloody way!" he said.. :)"That made my day!:-lol I reckon he had a right to be a little grouchy, but I'm learning he was a less than pleasant person to interact with to put it mildly.Exactly the kind of guy you want for defense of King and country, with or without legs. Thanks for the insight and the laugh bones.Robert

Guest Lionel Goh

since everyone is sharing.. i shall share too :)well.. i'm more into commercial aircraft noses..for now :)here's my latest one..have to fix it to makeit look more accurate though :)just say if you want more ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/90469.jpg

>Bill those 'details' are spectacular. I hope that one day I>can learn to texture half as well.Thanks, Robert. Your modelling is looking really nice...It would seem that no one caught on that those are actually 'lights' that work... :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/90482.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest bones

>>"I met Bader many years ago when he was regularly flying>around the UK in a Baron. A man of few words but all of them>distinct - I'll never forget his first utterance to me..>>"Get out of the bloody way!" he said.. :)">>That made my day!:-lol >>I reckon he had a right to be a little grouchy, but I'm>learning he was a less than pleasant person to interact with>to put it mildly.>>Exactly the kind of guy you want for defense of King and>country, with or without legs. Thanks for the insight and the>laugh bones.>>Robert>> Bader has had some tough press in recent years but so have many other famous figures - hero worship isn't PC these days.I met him on a few occasions and began to see why he made friends and enemies in equal amounts. He was totally uncompromising, he couldn't stand incompetence, vacillation or timidity at all. On the other hand he recognised ability in others and if you were good you passed muster. He was a natural leader..I guess you know which side I'm on..boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Robert Sanderson

"Bader has had some tough press in recent years but so have many other famous figures - hero worship isn't PC these days.I met him on a few occasions and began to see why he made friends and enemies in equal amounts. He was totally uncompromising, he couldn't stand incompetence, vacillation or timidity at all. On the other hand he recognised ability in others and if you were good you passed muster. He was a natural leader..I guess you know which side I'm on.."I have the greatest disdain for the concept of what is 'politically correct'. Smells like fascism to me. I read Reach For The Sky when I was very young, and I have the movie on VHS. I've always been fascinated by his indomitable spirit, and his unparalleled flying skills.So you can count me among those on his side bones.:-)"It would seem that no one caught on that those are actually 'lights' that work..." Emissive Texture Lightmapping!!!Way out of my league.:-hmmm You're the man Bill!:-)That airliner nose is looking good Lionel! :-) Best regards to all,Robert

>"It would seem that no one caught on that those are actually>'lights' that work..." >>Emissive Texture Lightmapping!!!>>Way out of my league.:-hmmm You're the man Bill!:-)Nice guess, Robert. While "Emissive Texture Lightmapping" does have something to do with it...those are actually gauges... :)You do know that you can place a "gauge" quite literally anywhere on a model, right? :)

Fr. Bill    

Guest Robert Sanderson

"those are actually gauges..." Ahh... now I see!"You do know that you can place a "gauge" quite literally anywhere on a model, right?"Yes.:-) I have 17 (VcockpitXX) sections in my panel.cfg file. There are gauges left and right and front and bottom, horizontal vertical and angles in-between. Some of the gauges are invisible, to make the VC fully clickable (I'm using FSDS2), like the invisible gauge placed over the throttle for instance, you can grab the lever and move it. Same with prop and mixture levers. I placed gauges over the elevator and rudder trim wheel and knob to 'animate' them, so you see movement when the trim is changing. Everything is clickable, and almost everything is animated.On the exterior model the cockpit has gauges, not an instrument panel bitmap. I've attached an image of the exterior model cockpit at night to illustrate what I mean.I would like to see animated exterior parts that would respond to mouse clicks. For instance, I have a boarding step that extends and retracts with the water rudder keyboard command (Shift+W). It would be nice if you could 'grab' the handhold with the mouse and extend the boarding step. That's the way it's done on the real airplane. Maybe in the next version of Flight simulator!Take care,Robert http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/90607.jpg

>"those are actually gauges..." >Ahh... now I see!>Yes.:-) I have 17 (VcockpitXX) sections in my panel.cfg file.I try to minimize the number of [VcockpitXX] sections, in order to keep the gauge refresh rate high... I've learned to 'pack' the $texture.bmp to use as many of the available pixels as possible. See the pic below for an example.One of the 'neatest tricks' I've discovered (although I'm sure that others have also "discovered" the same thing already!), is that if you are going to use the SAME GAUGE in more than one VC location, you don't actually NEED two gauge entries. Simply map the second instance to use the first location! :) For example, although there are two separate "sealed-beam lights" shown, they are separate "gauges." One is for the cockpit floods (used four times), and the other one is for the cabin overseat lights (used eight times)... :)>I would like to see animated exterior parts that would respond>to mouse clicks.Unfortunately, although gauges may be SEEN on the exterior model, the mouse points won't work... :(Of course, if you are INSIDE the "interior model," you CAN click on stuff that's located on the "outside, provided there's no other polygons in the way..."http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/90608.jpg

Fr. Bill    

Guest Robert Sanderson

"I try to minimize the number of sections, in order to keep the gauge refresh rate high... I've learned to 'pack' the $texture.bmp to use as many of the available pixels as possible. See the pic below for an example."Well that may explain why my refresh rate is so poor. I'm going to look into that tomorrow. Thank you."One of the 'neatest tricks' I've discovered (although I'm sure that others have also "discovered" the same thing already!), is that if you are going to use the SAME GAUGE in more than one VC location, you don't actually NEED two gauge entries. Simply map the second instance to use the first location! :) For example, although there are two separate "sealed-beam lights" shown, they are separate "gauges." One is for the cockpit floods (used four times), and the other one is for the cabin overseat lights (used eight times)... :)"Yep, I stumbled onto that in one of my rare moments of insight, and mapped all three cockpit lights (they look like map lights) to the first."Unfortunately, although gauges may be SEEN on the exterior model, the mouse points won't work..." Big disappointment for me, I was all psyched with this brilliant idea to make my boarding step 'clickable', and then shot down in flames it didn't work.:-( Thanks for the info Bill, I'll try reworking my Vcockpit01 panel tomorrow and see if the gauges are smoother. I'm not getting my hopes up though; the refresh rate is still really poor with only ONE gauge on the main panel or in the VC!:-roll Best regards,Robert