Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Different viewing locations for 2D and 3D?

Guest pecrowther

Can you use different viewing locations for the 2D and 3D (virtual cockpit)? For example, can the 2D view be from the navigator location and the 3D view be from the pilot location? I have inserted VIEW_XXX_EYE commands, in the [Views] section of panels.cfg, but that causes both views to change. I tried inserting the different VIEW_XXX_EYE commands in [Window00] (the main 2D window), but that had no effect.Thanks, Phil

The view entries in the panel.cfg file are for the 2D panel. The views were provided before 3D (VC) panels were available. The view would call a different bitmap, e.g., left window/console of aircraft cockpit. If you use the views in an aircraft with a VC, you will see the VC when you turn to any position other than forward. If you try to add a view with a new bitmap and a VC, you will probably see both.The 3D (VC) initial view point is set in the aircraft.cfg file in the view section.If you don't already have the panels sdk, download and install from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , downloads, FS2004SDK.W. Sieffert

Guest pecrowther

You note that: "The view entries in the panel.cfg file are for the 2D panel." Is there any way to make them ONLY for the 2D panel?After some experimentation, I see that my problem is only with VIEW_FORWARD_EYE. Right now, when I put: VIEW_FORWARD_EYE=0.00, -2.50, 2.00 in the [VIEWS] section, the virtual view also shifts to this new location.The other sepcifications, e.g. VIEW_LEFT_EYE=0.00, -2.50, 2.00, do not have the same effect on the virtual view.So, as you note, while in 2D mode, I get 3D views to the right and left. These are now in the right location. It is only the front view that is off.Also, can you just skip the 2D view? It seems rather anachronistic in a world where everything else is in 3D.

Sorry, I haven't fiddled with these views for sometime since VC views were made a general part of the aircraft. I think what you are seeing is the VC view, which is made in the aircraft *.mdl file. Its view is fixed in the *.mdl file. I don't think you can really adjust this from the 2D perspective.No you can't skip the 2D view, other than deleting the parts from the panel.cfg file but then you will have a blank forward panel in the 2D view. You can always fly in the 3D panel, but I find it very hard on the eyes.MS tried using only the 3D panel in CFS3 and I don't think it was well received.There are ways to exclude the 3D panel from the *.mdl file but you have to use a Hex editor. Eliminating the 3D panel, allows you to return to the old style views using various bitmaps.W. Sieffert

Guest pecrowther

Thanks for the insight.I discovered that, in the views section, view_forward_eye is the critical command. If I use this command to move the 2D forward view to the new location, the 3D view will also move there. However, if I do not use this command, I can still use the other commands, e.g. view_left_eye, to move all of the other 2D views to the new location, while leaving the 3D view alone.You can hide the fact that the 2D forward view is at the same location as the 3D view by pasting a different panel in front which appears in the 2D only. Hopefully no one will notice!!!For some reason, there is a thin transparent border around the 2D panel. Is there any way to eliminate that? I've tried increasing the size of the panel, but that didn't help.Thanks,Phil