Sign in to follow this  
Guest jetBlue_83

Flaps..."Is my 10 degrees your 10 degrees?" (GMAX)

Guest jetBlue_83

Well, the question is, when modeling flaps in GMAX, I know that they are keyframe animated. But, how can I be sure (aside from visually) that 10 degrees (or any other flap setting) will actually be 10 degrees? In other words, how can I be sure that the visual representation of the flap settings (the flap surfaces moving) actually correspond to the number of degrees? (I hope this is clear)Thanks for any answers, suggestions, advice...Ramon

No, the "normal" animation for flaps is not key-frame animated. All you need to do is use the l_flap and r_flap partnames, and have the pivot point correctly set.However, that said, you can choose to use key-frame animation, and will set the exact flap angle and position for each position, by providing a Rotation and/or Position key for that spot.For "simple flaps" that only rotate around one pivot point, and don't move fore or aft at all, the "standard animation" (non-keyframed) is adequate, since FS will calculate the amount of rotation for you.For more precision, and in cases of complex flap movements, then key-frame animation is the only way to go... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jetBlue_83

So, you are telling me, that all I have to do is create and name the flaps? I wish I still had the hairs I pulled out of my head!!! Thanks alot for the advice (maybe I will actually make something!!!) ;)

>So, you are telling me, that all I have to do is create and>name the flaps? I wish I still had the hairs I pulled out of>my head!!! Thanks alot for the advice (maybe I will actually>make something!!!) ;)If you haven't already done so, go to the office supply store and buy several 3-ring binders (1/2" is fine).PRINT OUT the entire MakeMDL SDK, punch holes in the pages, and put them in one of the binders.Now, you have a hardcopy reference to work from... :)In any case though, look at the handy table entitled "Stock Animation Names (Aircraft Only)""Any part with a part name from the following table automatically uses the corresponding stock animation; you do not have to author a keyframe animation in the input file."l_flapr_flapPlease note that if you DO wish to use keyframe animation, the part names will be different than that used for the "stock animation."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jetBlue_83

LOL, you know, I had thought for some reason that the l_flap and r_flap shouldn't be used (why? I dunno) I'll give it a shot though!!