Sign in to follow this  
Guest sdf

collection of airfile questions...

Guest christian

I did a bit of a browse through tutorials and forum messages to dive into the secrets of airfiles. Now I have plenty of questions, so I want to start with a few...How good is FSEdit for generating GA one engine piston aircraft? From what I read FSEdit doesn't do a good job for more complex aircraft, but how good is it for a C152, for example? Is there still a lot of editing to be done?It seems that FS9 doesn't support section 1101 Cn_dT. Now this is a pity, because one of my gripes with the default C172 is that it doesn't yaw when I change throttle settings. Thinking about it, a single constant isn't the right way to simulate this anyway, since the yaw would be dependent on airspeed also. Is there a new table in FS9 that would add such behaviour?The default C172 doesn't spin (at least I can't get a sustained spin working, it always develops into a spiral dive). Why (ie is it easy to add spinning behaviour)?I also noticed that the tables in the default air files have a very low sample rate of points. Is there any point adding more points and make the curves smoother? Or is the effect mostly negligable and/or adds significant processor overhead?Cheers, Christian

The FS2004 FSEdit is capable of generating a starting point for further editing. The FS2004 FSEdit fixed some broken entries made in the FS2002 FSEdit that caused FS2002 aircraft to behave badly. These sections are AIRED152 1539 thru 1546. If these sections are left in the air file, they replace sections in AIRED152 1101. Removing these sections will cause AIRED152 1101 parameters to be used. Look for the corresponding parameters in the new sections.The aircraft.cfg file also is taking a bigger part in aerodynamics. Any parameter listed in the aircraft.cfg has priority over the corresponding *.air file.Aired152/lastest aired.ini - http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/index.htmlSpins in any flight simulators uses forced functions and bits of data to simulate a spin. It is not an area that even most high end flight simulator do well.W. Sieffert

Guest Douglas K

>>>>How good is FSEdit for generating GA one engine piston aircraft? From what I read FSEdit doesn't do a good job for more complex aircraft, but how good is it for a C152, for example? Is there still a lot of editing to be done?<<<>>>It seems that FS9 doesn't support section 1101 Cn_dT. Now this is a pity, because one of my gripes with the default C172 is that it doesn't yaw when I change throttle settings. Thinking about it, a single constant isn't the right way to simulate this anyway, since the yaw would be dependent on airspeed also. Is there a new table in FS9 that would add such behaviour?<<<http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...wnloads_sdk.asp>>>>The default C172 doesn't spin (at least I can't get a sustained spin working, it always develops into a spiral dive). Why (ie is it easy to add spinning behaviour)?<<<>>>I also noticed that the tables in the default air files have a very low sample rate of points. Is there any point adding more points and make the curves smoother? Or is the effect mostly negligable and/or adds significant processor overhead?<<<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/index.htmlAsk here for expert answers on flight dynamics:http://www.avhistory.org/scripts/MegaBBS/f...w.asp?forumid=5Aircraft Airfile Manager (AAM free download) and more is here:http://www.aircraftmanager.com/Douglas

Guest christian

Thanks for those replies, guys. I followed those links already and had a bit of a browse. They are indeed very helpful.I currently have aired 1.51 since William Roth's site is inaccessable at the moment. Is 1.52 necessary (hopefully William's site comes back online soon)?I also had a look at aam... i like how you can edit the curves...Just to confirm: If 1539 and 1546 disable entries in 1101, does this happen in other places also? For example, in some airfiles I've seen there are some nonsense values in section 500 (ie propeller length wrong for C172). Do these entries get overwritten by entries in 505 and 510? If yes, this all starts to make sense to me...Thanks for the kind offer to help, Douglas. Much appriciated. I think I need to go away and have a play with some parameters for a while, but I might chase you up on your offer at a later stage :)Cheers, Christian

Guest Douglas K

>>>>I currently have aired 1.51 since William Roth's site is inaccessable at the moment. Is 1.52 necessary (hopefully William's site comes back online soon)?<<<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/index.htmlRename it AAM and paste it into the Aircraft Airfile Manager folder. Now you're up to date and ready to roll.>>>>Just to confirm: If 1539 and 1546 disable entries in 1101, does this happen in other places also? For example, in some airfiles I've seen there are some nonsense values in section 500 (ie propeller length wrong for C172). Do these entries get overwritten by entries in 505 and 510? If yes, this all starts to make sense to me...<<<>>>Thanks for the kind offer to help, Douglas. Much appriciated. I think I need to go away and have a play with some parameters for a while, but I might chase you up on your offer at a later stage<<<

Guest christian

Great. Thanks, Douglas. Time to get my hand dirty...Cheers, Christian

Guest Douglas K

>>>>Great. Thanks, Douglas. Time to get my hand dirty...<<<

Guest doy2001

Hi Douglas, it seems you know a lot about this, and you give kind answers (hard to find on some forums). Well i

Guest Douglas K

Hi Domingo,I only know enough about flight dynamics for MSFS to get by, or to get into trouble!I

Guest Douglas K

You're welcome Domingo.Check out my reply to your trim problem.Douglas

Guest sdf

Hi Douglas,AirEd.ini and AAM.ini are not full compatible. AAM uses some data format that is unknown to AirEd.For this reason I have updated the original AAM.INI to the standard of Ron Freimuth's last AirEd.ini. All his improvemenst, corrections and enhancements are now - with Ron's approval - included. Furthermore I corrected a couple small errors in the labels of some tables and added more help textes.You can download my updated AAM.INI here (right click an select "save as"):www.fsdossier.info/files/aam.iniCaution if you still use a beta version of AAM (some people do): The data format for some lines (specially G loads) had changed in the official release of AAM. For this reason some data may appear corrupted. In this case you have to switch the data format for this lines in the AAM.INI back to the original setting.

Guest Douglas K

Sergio, Cool!!! You are too modest; this .ini file has the most extensive help annotations I've ever seen. I've downloaded and installed it, thank you for making it available. I only use AAM for editing 3D tables, for everything else I prefer AirEd, but your .ini file still makes a valuable addition to my toolbox. It was Ron who suggested the AirEd to AAM .ini file swap, I had no idea there are format incompatibilities between the two. Thanks for the heads up.Regarding 59h, Cn_dt is not ineffective in FS9, but the effect may not be entirely what you would expect either. You may want to experiment with it to determine how it operates, but I can tell you that it acts to increase rudder effectiveness in direct proportion to thrust. Very useful when modeling taildraggers and the effect of prop wash on a fully deflected rudder while taxiing.Thanks again,Douglas

Guest doy2001

Sergio, Douglas is right. Thanks for this outstanding contribution!

Guest sdf

Glad that you like my rework. And many thanks for the hint. I will put it in the next update of AAM.INI.