Sign in to follow this  
Guest zzmikezz

Ouch!! US Dollar

I have built up my FS fund a little and was looking to purchase some add on scenery...FS2004, a scenery package that has been out for at least three years, and the US Dollar conversion has it at over $70 now. Whew...that is too much...I will have to pass...I was coming back from overseas in 2000 and remember the Euro being less than the dollar...how things change...Scott

>I have built up my FS fund a little and was looking to>purchase some add on scenery...FS2004, a scenery package that>has been out for at least three years, and the US Dollar>conversion has it at over $70 now. Whew...that is too>much...I will have to pass...>>I was coming back from overseas in 2000 and remember the Euro>being less than the dollar...how things change...>>ScottI'm hoping to visit friends in the US this July. From a European perspective things look quite inexpensive in the US to me - I'm looking forward to it - the cost of living in Europe is just crazy.What's Virginia like anyone? It looks great to me - civil war and War of Independence history - will it be safe for me as a Brit to walk the streets of the US on 4th July? ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Virginia beach will be busy. Center yourself around Williamsburg. Plenty of theme parks, stuff to do. Traffic bad. Weather humid. Drivers a bit better than NY and Jersey but not much.KNTU right next to Va. Beach.Make the trip to the Outer Banks in NC. Worth your entire trip to US to see that location..Gary

You'll be fine! just don't wear a Red Coat or Carry a Brown Bess.Bill *:-*

>>What's Virginia like anyone? It looks great to me - civil war>and War of Independence history - Oh, haven't you heard? We settled those misunderstandings years ago! :-)will it be safe for me as a>Brit to walk the streets of the US on 4th July? ;-)Absolutely -- people may insist that you apologize for all the inconvenience your country caused us 2 1/2 centuries ago, but don't you worry about them. They will be mostly old and cranky.And remember the Virginia state ad slogan: "Virginia is for Lovers" -- (but not out in public!) :-lol

Of course. We won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having a British mother has caused many interesting conversations about this. I'm always reminded of how the French gave us the necessary diversion to survive the War of 1812.

Gavin,I can't think of a better place to celebrate the 4th of July than in Washington DC. I lived/worked there for eight years. Plenty safe... just keep to the good parts of town. Get around on the Metro - very safe and very clean and a great way to get around the city.4th was always a blast. Just you and about 500,000 other people to party! Suggestion: Hang down at the dock on the 'waterfront' in Georgetown and perhaps you'll be able to hook up with some revelers on their boats. We used to always meet new people that way and let them come aboard to watch the fireworks from the Potomac river.Definitely hit the Smithsonian (of course the Air Museum there and the new one at Dulles airport), Gettysburg, Williamsburg.have fun!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I've been to the DC celebration and it was great, but Phillys the place to be on the fourth, dawg! We really know how to ring in the 4th! There are no less than 5 fireworks displays in the city, and over 30 within 10 miles drive.But while in Washington, definately go to the Air and Space Museum -- and don't pass on the bus ride out to see the space shuttle and the Enola Gay! In case you'er interested, the original Enterprise from Star Trek is down in the gift shop at the A+S Museum now -- relegated to the basement! **sniff**

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm really looking forward to it. To be honest though, we'd better stop as, to be fair, it's not really an FS9 subject.Much appreciated thoughI think the Air and Space museum in Washington and the Smithsonian are 100% defo must see sights.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

>Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm really looking forward to>it. To be honest though, we'd better stop as, to be fair, it's>not really an FS9 subject.>>Much appreciated though>>I think the Air and Space museum in Washington and the>Smithsonian are 100% defo must see sights.>>Gavin>As others have stated, Virginia is a nice state to visit. Don't just hang out near the coast though. The Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountians are worth a see. Richmond (where I live) has nice parts too. As others have pointed out, the humidity in the summer is stiffling.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I am feeling the pain... I just hope this brings work into the country being that the depressed dollar makes our labor attractive. Certainly no time to go out of the country though, at least not the Eurozone.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Havent you heard? The US is going to peg its currency to the Euro at one to one!

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest PARADISE

Gavin...........bring your euros with you. Some Washington DC area restaurants and bars are now accepting euros. Signs of the times as the dollar plummets on the financial markets.

Guest zzmikezz

ClutchCargo,You wrote "I can't think of a better place to celebrate the 4th of July than in Washington DC."Well, I can ...The place is Main Street in Ranchester, Wyoming. The time is civil twilight. The goings-on bear a remarkable resemblance to an intense and long lasting live fire training exercise. It's like going on Hadj -- you should do it at least once in your life. :)NOTE: This information is thirty years old. Perhaps by now the Blue Meanies have toned things down.