Sign in to follow this  
Guest zzmikezz

Ouch!! US Dollar

Or Jackson, Wyoming.Maybe a bit touristy, but where else do you find wooden sidewalks and a proud display of elk and moose antlers forming the gate to the city park :)

Guest zzmikezz

jwenting,I've been to Jackson Hole also for the 4th of July. The problem with Jackson is that unlike Ranchester they won't let you do big stuff downtown as I recall :), meaning that you have to go out to the boonies. (In Ranchester they were even firing skyrockets horizontally at each other. :) Truth. We had to flatten ourselves against buildings to stay out of the simulated urban combat line of fire. Apparently the whole town and its environs participate in what was then an annual battle. :))Anyway, if you do that -- get out of downtown Jackson -- and if you manage to get a fire going in the grass and/or underbrush, you get to pay for the cost of having the fire put out. Been there, done that too. :) We (my family and I) were running around like crazy keeping all the little fires stomped out, so in the end it didn't cost us for anything but the fireworks themselves.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBut apart from that I have to agree with your sentiment. Jackson Hole is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

It may now even be an automatic felony if you start a fire in a national park to boot. LOL. Not sure about in the city though. WY may not be as strict as CA.I'd love to go to Jackson myself soon also.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest zzmikezz

Jeff, It's probably illegal on WY federal land too but nobody seemed really to care thirty years ago. :) At the time the WY license plates read "Wyoming Is What America Was".Jwenting,You ask where else touristy wooden sidewalks can be found. Until about ten years ago they could still be found in Elizabeth, a small town you've never heard of out on the plains just east of Denver.There is nothing touristy about Elizabeth. The sidewalks were real, as were the hitching posts. Those things are gone today.The real question to ask regarding Wyoming is, Where else can you buy an entire small town for next to nothing? (It changed hands recently. I forget its name. It has one resident. :))xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDo you hear, EU members? You can buy an entire town now in the magical state of Wyoming. Make the owner a low offer. I'll bet that he's dying to sell already. :)

>Certainly no time to go out of the country>though, at least not the Eurozone.True. But perhaps more of us Europeans will come on holiday to the US and our tourist dollars/pounds/euros will help a little.Apart from my sightseeing trips - I'll be based in Chester, VA and also a few days with another friend in Asheville (I think) NC - I intend to spend one day shopping for clothes. The last time I was in the US was 1996 and I clearly remember how cheap clothes seemed to me then.I've just had a thought - I hope no US citizens misunderstand what I'm saying. I truly sympathise with anyone suffering from the effects of this temporary economic downturn. OK, this makes it a relatively good time for me to visit my friends in the US as my savings can buy a few dollars more than a few years ago - but, to be honest, I'd probably be going this year anyhow. I hope I haven't caused any offence to anyone.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

You haven't offended anyone....come on over and have some fun! :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest Bizub4

>>I have built up my FS fund a little and was looking to>>purchase some add on scenery...FS2004, a scenery package>that>>has been out for at least three years, and the US Dollar>>conversion has it at over $70 now. Whew...that is too>>much...I will have to pass...>>>>I was coming back from overseas in 2000 and remember the>Euro>>being less than the dollar...how things change...>>>>Scott>>I'm hoping to visit friends in the US this July. From a>European perspective things look quite inexpensive in the US>to me - I'm looking forward to it - the cost of living in>Europe is just crazy.>>What's Virginia like anyone? It looks great to me - civil war>and War of Independence history - will it be safe for me as a>Brit to walk the streets of the US on 4th July? ;-) You should be fine in VA! I live about 45 mins from Jamestowne area.!

4th of July + Brit = safe in Virginia? Hmmm... well, only if you speak the Irish version of Brit and carry a pint of Guiness with you where ever you go! :-lolMy wife and I live in Charlottesville. She's a native and I have been here 21 years. Every state of the union has its own unique offerings to the visitor and Virginia certainly holds its own. I am originally from San Diego, Calif., and the fact that I have been here as long as I have speaks volumes for the area and the state. I just had British visitors this week on business, and they can't get enough of the area. Skyline Drive, Monticello, battlefields, history every where. You won't go wrong by visiting us, and if you can get to the Skyline, you won't ever forget it.

You certainly haven't offended me - as a Virginian I say, Y'All come! And bring money...DJ

>You certainly haven't offended me - as a Virginian I say,>Y'All come! And bring money...>>DJFlights booked! Air France had the best deal so it'll be an A319/320 from Warsaw to Paris then a B772 to Dulles. It'll be my first time in a B777 :-) 27 June to 11 July :-)I'm looking at hiring a car to pop down to Asheville NC for a few days where I have some other friends. I want a Mustang :-) Or maybe a Harley? I see much Googling ahead. Looks like I'll be in DC for the 4th July as my Chester friends are working that one out - can't wait :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest zzmikezz

Gavin,Everything is as they say. However, you may find yourself missing good Slavic pivo. :) (That's "beer" to you Angliski-speaking decadent USA residents.)