Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lionel Goh

Help with Gmax P38 tutorial please.

I have slowly started going through the Gmax tutorials with some success-- but have encountered something that has stopped me in my tracks.The third page of the P38 tutorial involves setting up the VIEWPORT BACKGROUNDS. I can do this with no problems , and then set up the required calibration box. BUT - I am then required to SAVE my work which is then to be used in the next section of the tutorial.I am having trouble saving and then re-using the Gmax file -- it saves OK, but when I open it up in Gmax again, there is no work there. Zilch. Just a blank Gmax workspace.I believe that this tutorial has some errors in it -- but I can find no other that starts out at this basic level. Even the acclaimed "Stupid idiots guide" assumes that you have completed the basic P38 Gmax tut.Any help please?Thanks Barry

Guest Lionel Goh

get the P38 calibration box here:http://www.fsalpha.com/gmax_fs/gmax_fs_resources.shtmlwell, the problem with the gmax tutorial is that the setting up of viewport backgrounds is very hard to do.What most of us do is make a plane of the size of the image. Let's say you're front view of the P38 is 300px by 400px. You would create a plane of 300m by 400m(make sure you work in metres.)Then, i would map the image onto the plane :)

Thanks for the reply, Lionel>get the P38 calibration box here:>http://www.fsalpha.com/gmax_fs/gmax_fs_resources.shtmlI will have a look at this today.>>well, the problem with the gmax tutorial is that the setting>up of viewport backgrounds is very hard to do.I am not sure what you mean by this -- I found that the setting up of the viewport backgrounds and the calibration box (as per the tutorial instructions) is quite easy to do -- my problem is with the fact that I couldn't save the work to allow me to continue with the rest of the tutorial later. >>What most of us do is make a plane of the size of the image.>Let's say you're front view of the P38 is 300px by 400px. You>would create a plane of 300m by 400m(make sure you work in>metres.)Then, i would map the image onto the plane :)I have to tell you that what you have said above is all "gobley-gook" to me at this stage. That is the problem that I see with this -- there seems to be no simple step-by-step tutorial that allows a beginner to get a feel for what is required. Thanks anywayBarry

>Do you know about the stupid idiot's guide to gmax? I think>that's a very good complete tutorial.Yes- I have that . The problem is that in the early part of his tutorial when he is talking about the viewport backgrounds , he says that he uses the method shown in the P38 tutorial - so that is why I was going through the P38 tutorial. It seems that I have to learn more about this importation of the viewport backgrounds before I can proceed any further.I have downloaded the file that you referred me to - and can see that I have a boc in the perspective view with the a/c imposed on each side of the box - plus the a/c sideviews are in each of the other views.I can see in the "stupid idiots " guide a reference to a video by Finn Newick , which i suspect , says how to create this type of viewport background - but the link to the video is broken.So what I am really trying to find out further is how the box with the a/c on the sides is created in the first place. Once I can get past this , I can then follow the tutorials.Thanks againBarry

Guest Lionel Goh

i wanted to create one some time ago..No promises.. but i will see when i have the motivation to do it :)