Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ionizeyou

gps map in ND/MFD

Hi all, I'm newbie in xml gauge editing. I'm currently editing a xml gauge with gps map showing navaids on the ND/MFD.what i do isadding the values below to the line CustomDraw Name="fs9gps:map" X=.......:LayerTerrain="No" LayerBorders="No"ColorLayerVORs="0x00FF33"ColorLayerNDBs="0x00FF33"ColorLayerIntersections="0x00FF33" ***OK, everythings works fine, the map view is simply black background with navaids displayed in green.My problem is, NOT all the intersections are displayed in green. in fact most of them remain blue, while some of them, which are part of a jetway/airway are in green.Is there anything I'm missing?? (YEA, i'm editing cj's panel)BTW, I see some post in this forum talking about changing the bitmap of airports, vor....etc. in gps, could i know more about this??here's a shot of my workhttp://matthewlue.no-ip.com/gallery/fs2004/misc/img00016.jpg

The colors you see may be the type waypoint programmed. If you look at the default GPS or Map View, you will see magenta and blue waypoints. There are also terminal waypoints associated with an airport and other waypoints not associated with an airport, such as route intersections.Review the FS2004_BGLCOMP_SDK.doc for the type of waypoints.W. Sieffert

>Review the FS2004_BGLCOMP_SDK.doc for the type of waypoints.Ummm~~ That's a great hint for me!! Thanks Sieffert!! Heading to the SDK now!at the moment, only those waypoints are magenta in default GPS are changed to green in the MFD.

errr, seems i found some descriptions on the waypoints in the SDK, but dont find any related xml vars in it....however, when i check out gps_500.xml again, I find a few more layers that may help:cant wait to test them out at once, but I'm at work now.. :(

Guest Ionizeyou

>here's a shot of my workHi Matthew...I'm not a newbie in .xml gauge editing, and I'm the one who created that .xml gauge you're editing (slightly) with a gps map that shows navaids on the ND/MFD.Check out my images here...http://www.sky-decks.com/sd-html_011.htmLook familiar? Are you sure that's your work??? I can spot it a million miles away Matt... Source code, bitmaps, even the color...I hope you're not planning on releasing that one. Keep it to yourself for your own use and we'll be okay.

>>here's a shot of my work>>>Hi Matthew...>>I'm not a newbie in .xml gauge editing, and I'm the one who>created that .xml gauge you're editing (slightly) with a gps>map that shows navaids on the ND/MFD.>>Check out my images here...>>http://www.sky-decks.com/sd-html_011.htm>>Look familiar? Are you sure that's your work??? I can spot>it a million miles away Matt... Source code, bitmaps, even>the color...>>I hope you're not planning on releasing that one. Keep it to>yourself for your own use and we'll be okay.Yep, that's skyworks's 737NG gauges, the ND is great! BUT I'm sick with the terrian behind the MAP view, this is the major reason caused me to edit it. since the black/deep blue terrian behind make the navaids virtually INVISIBLE! this ruined the ND actually.

Guest Ionizeyou

>>Yep, that's skyworks's 737NG gauges...Uh, actually it's "SkyDecks" Mike... ;)In the design of our soon to be released CRJ Panel, I've come up with a much easier way to display the GPS information within an MFD... and subsequently have found how to control the "Blue" terrain setting as well.Basically you'll need to have two sections of the GPS information that's switchable with an L Variable, and having one with the flag, LayerTerrain="No", and the other with the flag, LayerTerrain="Yes". Hope this helps.

Guest Eugen

Matthew,If you are thinking of publishing your panel you can search this forum as some xml code has published in this forum which is not from Kevin's "commercial code".That might serve as inspiration if you modify the fs9 gps yourself. I think Jan van Harten was the first one to create a nd gauge from the GPS gauge.BrgdsEugen

Guest Ionizeyou

>>I think Jan van Harten was the first one to create a nd gauge from the GPS gauge.Absolutely Eugen... Jan was the one who steered me in the right direction and even suggested I scrap the GPS for the working code, but the context and application that I used the code for the NG package was entirely of my making, and it was a time when I was (and still am!) very much learning .xml. And most definitely, Jan and the AVSIM panel forum is credited in my panel readme as well...So... with that said... I don't have a problem with Matt's work as long as he doesn't release it to the public. Obviously the bitmaps are mine. If he rearranges the code and creates his own bitmaps and not just change the color of them as in his other view, then it's his work... but to say he's "editing a gauge" and then to say... "here's a shot of "my" work"... I don't go with that. And I'm fairly certain that not many of us who spend as many hours doing what we do, would allow that to happen either.Enough said on this...

Come on Kevin!I also designed an ND with moving map and flight track (but without displaying land masses, oceans and those ILS beams) which looks similar to yours, but which has nothing to do with yours. We all know, which original ND provided the source code for most of the NDs, roses etc., which are currently around. What you did was merging this particular ND with the default GPS. I can clearly remember you asking here in this forum for tips, how to create such an XML gauge. Aren

Guest Ionizeyou

>We all know, which original ND provided the source code>for most of the NDs, roses etc., which are currently around. Absolutely... I'm not in disagreeance with you in the least here. But the original has been thoroughly tweaked. I'm sure we'd agree that MS examples are horriffic at best. What I did was to create all new bitmaps which were specific to the size of the area I had defined... created new graphics within these bitmaps... changed the code accordingly, and I learned a lot in the process of creating my own MFD.>What you did was merging this particular ND with the default>GPS. I can clearly remember you asking here in this forum for>tips, how to create such an XML gauge. Absolutely... again I agree with you. But don't we use MS code for even the slightest commands? And forgive me if you will, but I remember this to be a panel design forum, and yes I came here for help... but not once did anyone give me specific code on how to set it up in an MFD... how to make sure that the ND was layered over it properly... how it was sized specifically for my gauge... etc. I figured all of that out on my own. All that Jan did was tell me the best way to go about it, and it was his suggestion to me to start scrapping the GPS code and find what worked for me in my particular application.>Aren

This is one of the chief reasons I migrated from XML to C Gauges. It is impossible to copyright XML code. The only legitimate copyright that can be held is on the bitmaps themselves.What I don't understand is why no one has written a .CAB utility that can be password protected. It's a trivial matter to password protect a .zip file, so in principle it should be possible to padlock a .CAB file.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Matthias Lieberecht

Hi All,"I'm just protecting my copyright on the gauge... that's all."Just one question, why?My three cents about this:This forum is a real database of ideas and proposals. When I came here a couple of years ago, I've always got an answer to my questions from a lot of very kind people. Because of their help I could create my own gauges (which very often do not base on any MS gauge or which do not use MS macros or standard variables). No, I'm not a designer who learned programming gauges while sleeping :-) I need help from others and so it's more than fair sharing the things I found out also with them or help if someone has a problem.A short time after it was possible to program gauges with XML, I've tried a code for reloading panels (the reason of this gauge was just to reload the battery and this was the only way it was possible) and it works. Because of this I've used this code in an older version of my BAe 146 panel and upload it. In the meantime a lot of designers use it and that's absolutely okay. Why should I protect such a code? It's nothing else than a standard MS variable (which could be found in the SDK) and a transparent bitmap.The sense of a gauge bitmap is to reflect the look of the real instrument. What if another designer programs the same panel? Should he really use a bitmap which does not reflect the real instrument because another designer has already done the same panel? And how should I protect such a gauge which reflects the real thing? Should I say my painted curve is 2 points and so you have at least to use a curve which is painted 3 points because I've protected mine? Have you see how much modified 747 XML altimeters or ND's are in the web? Who on earth should now say that this is HIS work and nobody may use it? I think that's absurd. Like Bill has already wtitten: If you really want to protect your gauge you should not program it with XML. A protection also makes just sense if it is really your completely own work and not just a rework of an existing MS gauge, because a lot of people do this. Okay, it's not correct to say "my work" while it is from another. However Matthew wrote in the first line that he just "edit a XML gauge". I highly appreciate the work of Sky Decks, nevertheless I wonder about this reaction. But as written, it's just my own opinion.Best RegardsMatthias

Guest Ionizeyou

"Have you see how much modified 747 XML altimeters or ND's are in the web? Who on earth should now say that this is HIS work and nobody may use it? I think that's absurd."Matthias... please tell me that you aren't missing the point as well... are you? I have never said that of all the other Nav Displays that are on the web, that they are now my work only. I have simply shown that Matt was using my bitmaps that took me many hours to create. And as my choice, I have chosen for others to pay for my time in creating this art-work and in refitting this work within my own compilation of the source code. It would not be fair to my customers who have purchased this work to allow it to be freely distributed. Again, I am not speaking specifically of the source code, but of my creative art-work that makes the gauge look so appealing. Although clearly he was using my specific compliation of the coding, otherwise the bitmaps would not have shown correctly within the gauge... because again, I created those images to reflect the specific size of my gauge to fit within my panel background. Should he choose to create his own art-work and compile his own coding to reflect his art-work, then it would truly be his work. Again, I have never stated that the source code was mine... I have however found ways to do certain tricks. Should someone ever ask me for help, I would gladly share my concepts with them. My art-work however is of my hand, and he chose not to even ask if he could use it.Please folks... let's not make this about source code... it's about copyright infringement on my art-work. I am finished explaining myself any further on this subject.