Sign in to follow this  
Guest McFly

Will there EVER be an update to FSDS?

Guest panzerschiffe

I suspect that if there was, it would be FSDS V3, which will be a new purchase.But that's fine, I just want a FSDS that can use the new features of the new FS2004! When the FS2004 SDK came out, I asked Abacus if an update was being worked on, and they said yes. No idea of when it would be available though.Several months later, I am not getting a response from Abacus when I asked again. Does ANYONE know if an update to FSDS is in fact being worked on? I'm working on new planes, and I don't want to find out that I will never be able to use FSDS to include the new SDK features for it.Then there's always converting the parts to GMAX, but to reach the same proficiency with GMAX that I have with FSDS would take as long as it takes to make the plane in the first place.So to anyone who knows about an update to FSDS (whether it be free or not...willing to pay almost anything for an update at this point) please say something.AV,is getting a bit desparate

Guest Robert Sanderson

Hi Albaro, I can

Guest McFly

Hey guys,I think FSDS is a dead end. gMax has taken over. It's a much more sofisticated program. It's a slice out of the professional 3d progam - 3D Studio Max. I don't think the jump for someone that's proficient with FSDS should have a big problem. Take the leap!Terry

Guest Valid_Andy

I agree with Terry. You guys already know how to model right? The basics are still the same, just in a different place, You still scale cylinders and edit the vertex's to change the look of the plane. Once you get over the basics, you'll be fine. gMax really is not that hard once you know the basics, and there are much more better tools which you can find out about by just experimenting anyway! It's not like your starting from nothing, you already have an idea of how to model things, it's not like you have to learn a program and learn how to make flaps at the same time! I suggest you guys take a look at it, really, you can get the hang of it really quickly. Make a box, and see the options on the right hand side of the screen. Tamper with the box, and see what you can do, using the different elements of the box (Vertex's, Edges, Faces, Polygons, Elements) and you'll soon see what each one does. Everything in FSDS will probably relate to something in gMax just under a different name. I found gMax easier to start with than FSDS anyway!!!

Guest Robert Sanderson

Hi Terry and Andy, I've been using GMAX for the past couple of weeks, and decided yesterday to scrap FSDS and go with GMAX for future projects. You're right, it's not as hard now that I've got some modeling experience, but still very slow going. Better than last spring when I was just starting to model aircraft, GMAX was pretty intimidating then!Take care,Robert

Guest panzerschiffe

Well for now I'm going to be working with GMAX. But after working with FSDS nonstop for 18 months, dealing with GMAX is a long agony.Maybe in a few weeks I'll figure out how to texture map stuff.I'm following the Stupid Idiot's Guide but I think that's beyond me at this point.

>Well for now I'm going to be working with GMAX. But after>working with FSDS nonstop for 18 months, dealing with GMAX is>a long agony.>>Maybe in a few weeks I'll figure out how to texture map>stuff.>>I'm following the Stupid Idiot's Guide but I think that's>beyond me at this point.I would also suggest reading various threads on the texturing topic at:http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgiWe've discussed the various techniques at great length... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Lionel Goh

I think its best to update FSDS2 to make it export .X files, so you can incoporate XML stuff into it :)

Guest Daviator

Terry, For me, an FSDS user since its inception (and good friend of it's author), it's far more difficult to move to Gmax. I knew nothing about 3D design until FSDS. Now to switch I have to unlearn all I know and start all over. I have FSDS terminology and techniques in my head and no way to translate them to Gmax. ( I have found no FSDS to Gmax tutorials). Some Gmaxers offer tips like "It's easy, run the Gizmo and do some lofting to the editable mesh."(OK I made that up but HUH?????) It's just like me saying to Gmax users "FSDS is easy. just create a tube and use Constrain Z, set your scale to .001 and snap to scale." Or other tell me to "do the tutorials". I still can't get the propeller spinning on my elf. While FSDS was not a "professional" tool it was brilliant in it's simplicity. It was for FS200X ONLY and so it wasn't loaded down with tools and options that you had to wade through. I can spin circles around most Gmax designer especially when it comes to applying textures in FSDS. However from a dinner conversation I had with Louis last summer I don't suspect we'll see a new version any time soon if at all. This saddens me most of all. One man, Louis Sinclair, elevated the standard of FS models when he came out with FSDS for FS2000. Most folks forget that there was no Gmax then (or it didn't work for FS2000.) Davewww.daviator.comIt's simple task to make things complex and a complex task to make things simple.

Guest Daviator

Andy, The hard part for me is understnding the different names. I wish someone would write a tutorial on that. I.E a Part in FSDS is ??? in Gmax?Point is FSDS is ?? in Gmax?Polygon in FSDS is ??? in Gmax and so on.Davewww.daviator.comIt's simple task to make things complex and a complex task to make things simple.

Guest Lionel Goh

part in FSDS is a part in gmax :)a point in FSDS is a vertex in gmax :)a polygon in FSDS is a polygon in gmax. :)As andy said, The concepts are still the same. You just need to find out where the tools are.and that's what this forum is for.Asking. :)