Sign in to follow this  
Guest McFly

Will there EVER be an update to FSDS?

Guest panzerschiffe

Well that is what is frustrating for me. I built the iFDG A320 in FSDS2 in under a month. Now I have to spend a few weeks getting the same proficiency in GMAX, while in the meantime I could have made progress on other aircraft. Instead of a new plane being ready for Christmas, it'll perhaps be ready by the spring, if I can "get" GMAX enough to reach the same degree of proficiency by then.

> if I can "get" GMAX enough to reach the> same degree of proficiency by then.I think that if you can set aside the huge helping of negative energy, you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how quickly you will "get" GMax.Bill

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Robert Sanderson

"Instead of a new plane being ready for Christmas, it'll perhaps be ready by the spring, if I can "get" GMAX enough to reach the same degree of proficiency by then."I know Albaro, I know. Believe me I understand. But the sooner you get started, the further along you

Guest Daviator

Hi Robert, Now that's what I'm talking about! This helps tremendously in the transition. Thanks for your detailed reply. I have copied and pasted to to an offline doc for further study. Dave

Guest Milton

I really do understand and remember that Dave. I remember well when those FSDS projects were first coming out and the quality was awesome. I loved what FSDS designers were delivering and what the tool was capable of. Louis Sinclair has made an awesome contribution to the community and to the hearts of many simmers and designers and I shall always remember that.The simplicity of a tool built for a specific purpose (FSDS) should not be underestimated. Gmax, on the other hand, is a wealth of tools for many appications, but each one is there to simplify time-consuming tasks. Once the basics learning curve is behind you and the key tools sorted out, you will find yourself zipping through design steps in record times.My first design project with all the learning curves, gmax included, took 7 months. Today I can knock out the external model fully animated and mapped for textures in less than a month. Without a VC, it could be done in two months including textures, FD's, doc, and packaging. I now find the VC takes more time than the external model, an investment in time I enjoy, though I seldom use the VC myself.I wish there was a way to "sit" with someone through a gmax introduction session. It would eliminate a lot of "lost" hours trying to find the path to success. A video intro would be great I guess but I do not have that as a capability here.There are a few nice videos around though, and the contributors may well be happy to knock out a few basics for us. :-) I'll see what I can do to inspire one. ;-)

Guest Daviator

I hear Finn Neuwick made some videos but I cannot find them. The links I have are all dead. I would love to "sit" with a Gmax user. I sort of do that from time to time with FSDS users. Last night I worked with a designer in Columbia via email, chat and a Word doc to explain VC panels to him.Yes, I still offer as much help to users of FSDS as I can. Even though I do mostly commerical work now, we all benifit from shared knowledge. Dave

Guest Robert Sanderson

Hi Dave, I managed to find a copy of the GMAX Bible by Kelly L. Murdock at a used bookstore here in Ft. Worth today, too soon to tell if it will do me any good, but I need all the help I can get!:)You might want to consider buying a copy of this book, or the 3DS MAX Bible by the same author. They are around $40 or more new, I picked up my used copy for $18.99 with the bonus CD still unopened.Good luck with GMAX and kind regards.Robert

I started aircraft modelling with GMax by making and flying a simple, visually unrealistic test model to learn GMax and how to add the model to FS9. I think this a better approach than becoming frustrated by attempting a realistic detailed model while you're still learning. I followed this up with a Fokker EIV and a Haker Cygnet. Pictures of the three of them are attached.

The attachments are in the wrong order :(#1 is Test#2 is the Hawker Cygnet#3 is the Fokker EIV

Guest Robert Sanderson

Nice before and after shots mgh! How long did it take you to go from the test model to the Hawker Cygnet and Fokker EIV?Robert

About a month each, but then I'm retired.The Fokker has moveable flying controls, wheels and rotary engine. The Cygnet has the same (except for the engine) and key framed flying controls

>Yes, I still offer as much help to users of FSDS as I can.>Even though I do mostly commerical work now, we all benifit>from shared knowledge. I do the same thing, Dave. Just a few weeks ago, a person wrote to me and asked for help on a VC gauge lighting issue. He was so surprised that I not only freely shared my techniques with him, but was willing to assist in any other way I could.Now, he's the newest ESDG team member. Being helpful always pays dividends in the long run... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Robert Sanderson

"About a month each, but then I'm retired."You work fast. I'm at a disadvantage time wise, as retirement is quite a ways off, if ever. I have to steal flightsim development time from other areas in life, like sleeping! But a month to a finished model is flying along, even working full time. Nice looking aircraft!:)Take care,Robert

Thanks.But the models are quite simple with rectangular cross-section fuselages so they are quite easy to build. For struts and wiring I create one of each then keep cloning and sizing them.I have an old version of Photoshop (5.5) for paintingI use MiddleMan and MDLCommander to build the interior model direct from the exterior model.

Guest McFly

When gMax first came out I remember it had a real basic tutorial on how to build a P-38. It was quite helpful to get the feel of the program. I don't see it any longer on the discreet site. I may have a copy on CD somewhere. I'll take a look if anyone is interested.TerryI couldn't find the original tutorials from gMax. But I do have some pretty darn good ones on my long abandoned Stike Fighters site. Strike Fighters was made with 3d Studio Max which is the father of gMax so the tutorials aren't exactly what you'll see with gMax but pretty close.http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/StrikeFighter3dModeling.htmEnjoy