Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robert Sanderson

Adding a Searchlight to an Aircraft

Guest pecrowther

Is there a way to add a searchlight to an aircraft (or a ship)?I am using FSDS2.Thanks,Phil

Guest pecrowther

In case anyone else is trying the same thing, the answer appears to be to use a landing light. That is the only light that projects a beam of light.In FSDS, you create a "light_land" object and add the pre-process of "Landing Light On". The light will shine in whatever direction the object is pointed.A couple of apparent limitations:1. If you want something more than a pinpoint of light, you need to create a separate object with an emissive texture and add the pre-process of "Landing Light On". If you try to use the light_land for that purpose and add an emissive texture, the landing light stops working.2. One landing light per plane. I tried for two (since I have two searchlights), but was unsuccessful.Phil

>2. One landing light per plane. I tried for two (since I have>two searchlights), but was unsuccessful.I've had as many as SIX "landing lights" on one a/c. You simply need to insure that you use incremental names, such as light_landing_01, light_landing_02, etc.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Robert Sanderson

I have two landing lights on my first aircraft Phil (created using FSDS2), light_land and light_land.1. They are located about 10 feet from the aircraft CL, one in each wing. The beams show up in flightsim as distinct cones of light emanating from each location. Odd that it doesn't work for you, or have I misunderstood the problem? LOLBill we must have hit the "Post Message" button at the same time because my post disappeared and yours showed up in it's place!:-lolKind regards,Robert

Guest pecrowther

You guys are right. For some reason, adding a second light had previously caused the first one not to work. However, they are working fine now. (Probably because you said it could be done, the program stopped fighting the inevitable.)What is the maximum distance, you can see the beam? Looks like it winks out at about 1/2 mile. Can that be increased?Thanks,Phil

Guest pecrowther

Nevermind. It was my mistake. I was using a multi-resolution model and I forgot to copy the light_land parts to the second model. (If there are two ways to do something - a right way and a wrong way - I generally pick the latter.)Phil

Guest Robert Sanderson

"(If there are two ways to do something - a right way and a wrong way - I generally pick the latter.)"You are not alone with that Phil, I tried every wrong way possible to model the landing lights before I discovered it was as simple as naming a tiny part "light_land"...:-roll Take care,Robert