Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Tim Westnutt

Hi friendsI have not been around here much recently owing to pressure of work and other things; and am sorry to come here tonight for a reason I didn't expect, and to convey sad news. Many of you in the flightsim and real aviation world know Tim Westnutt. Tim passed away, this week, at 54 from a heart attack at his home in Holland. Tim was very much a part of our development testing at MAAM-SIM, and flew over for the MAAM show on occasions, which is how I knew him; but he was also close to Rob and friends at RealAir and many others in the FS community. I believe that his Dad was a Spit pilot, and he certainly put some time in on the RealAir product, I know! An accomplished pilot in his own right, he rarely went anywhere without getting some stick time in, one way or the other. On a recent trip to New Zealand, he even got himself cleared for landings at Milford Sound in the South Island! Tim flew the Pilatus PC-12 professionally in Switzerland too, I believe.Tim will be sorely missed. Urgently, his girlfriend Brenda Jones is keen to trace all friends of his to keep them up to date with any arrangments made on his behalf. Her telephone number in UK is +44 1737 217139, and her email is BJ_Jones@ntlworld.com. She is very happy for anyone to be in touch with her, although as of tonight arrangements are still in abeyance.Again, sorry to bring sad tidings. Fly high, Tim, we will miss you....MarkP.S. Just found Tim's MySpace page; friends can leave messages here too for now, I think:http://www.myspace.com/timwestnuttMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cx.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

Mark passed me the news earlier, for which thanks. I am rather shocked because Tim was quite young and certainly very fit looking, vibrant and energetic. As many know, Tim was team leader for some of RealAir's beta testing and particularly with the 2004 Spitfire was instrumental in helping us to get that aircraft into shape, and not only was Tim's piloting knowledge very helpful, but his father, of whom he was immensely proud, was a WW2 Spitfire pilot and as a result Tim had an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of Spits.We went to a couple of airshows and air museums together and had many excellent suppers together too, he coming over sometimes to stay at my brother's place in Surrey or with his girlfriend Brenda on his frequent trips to England from Holland, where he was happily settled.Tim had many talents, amongst which was a natural gift for recording engineering, and he was pursuing this after a long and distinguished career as a transport pilot, his last regular run being a cargo route between UK and Belgium. Tim flew many different types of aircraft and had a totally natural piloting ability. He was cool and clear headed and was completely at home in a cockpit. He would fly anything he had the opportunity to when it was offered, and I believe he even took a rather beaten up old Tiger Moth for some aeros on a recent visit to Australia and New Zealand.I know Tim has many contacts all over not only the flight simming world but in aviation too, and all those who knew him saw an easy going, very self-possessed, organised and enthusiastic friend who would always put his full energies into whatever he was involved with at the time.It goes without saying that he will be sorely missed at RealAir and my heartfelt wishes go to his girlfriend Brenda.Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I can only echo what Rob has said about our friend and colleague, Tim Westnutt. Tim was a good friend and an integral part of our BTBT testing team from MAAM-SIM's inception, nearly six years ago. He generously made three trips across the pond at his own expense to help run the demo at WWII Weekend and the Avsim Convention at MAAM. We shall all miss him very much, and our hearts go out to Brenda and all his loved ones.Bill RambowMAAM-SIMhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187594.jpg

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Still shocked Still don't know what to sayStill can't believe itI refuse to believe itTim! How could you ! What about our boat trip now,

Jan

This is very sad news. I met Tim at the AVSIM event in Reading, PA. Tim was a real contributor to our hobby and it is indeed a sad day for all of us. Thanks for posting the news.

I can't believe he's gone... and so young. I met Tim in Reading PA in '03 as well, and we immediately hit it off. He was a rare breed; knowledgeable but humble, with a wicked sense of humor and enthusiasm that seemed to know no bounds. In 2004, we met again at the Avsim conference in Denver. This time we shared a flight in one of the United Level-D 737 simulators. I was like a slack-jawed kid, just in awe of being in the cockpit. Tim, on the other hand, went at it like the old pro he was, working through flows and checklists with the instructor pilot and immediately falling into the rhythm of the flight as if he'd been doing it his entire life. His love of flying shone through that day. Here's a guy who spent many a night lodged behind the yoke of a Fokker over Europe, and yet when the opportunity came to fly a sim, he was as tickled as a teenager. So long, Tim. You will be sorely missed. Below are a couple of shots from our United Airlines adventure.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187596.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187597.jpg

Guest IanP

I was another person fortunate enough to have met Tim on the trip to the Avsim conference at MAAM in Reading and, like everyone else, was saddened and shocked to read about this today. Unfortunately I've not been as active in the MAAM-SIM world as I should have been recently so haven't got to speak/type to him for some time, but I know he will be missed by both that team and FS community as a whole.Like everyone else, my thoughts go out to Brenda, Tim's friends and family.Ian P.

Bill,You've reminded me of one evening when Tim had "shown me" round the cockpit of a popular and high quality Boeing sim. I was staggered by his total ease running the systems in that cockpit. He hadn't read the manual but as if by intuition he took me through the very complex start up procedure, taxi and take off as though he'd been qualified on type for years, but had actually never "sat" in that cockpit before.Later, for fun, we raced cars on a playstation (of course he won) and were rolling on the floor in childish paroxysms of delight at the absurd crashes and ridiculous one-upmanship. He was an amazing multi-tasker, eating a sandwich, talking to a friend on the phone, holding a conversation with whoever was in the room, flying a sim, and answering e-mails on his laptop, sometimes all at the same time with consummate and relaxed ease.In short, Tim was always great fun to be with.Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest Shalomar

I had never heard his name till this thread but I apreciate his many accomplishments; especially his work on my MAAM-SIM DC-3.I am reminded of something a friend of Jackie O's once said; "Parents shouldn't have to bury their children. It's a violation of nature".He may have died too young, but at least he's really got his wings now...Best Regards, Donald T :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but like everyone else, was witness to his contributions to our hobby. We are for sure the better for it.He sounds like my kind of guy.Our thoughts are with him and his family.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply