Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

A trully *functional* virtual cockpit - help

Guest overdrive

I prefer virtual cockpits much more than 2d cockpits, due to the realism. However, I have a major problem: the animated yoke in the virtual cockpit sometimes blocks the view of lower instruments. Any genius know how to :(1) Make the virtual yoke completely dissapear in the VC?or (2) At least make the virtual yoke non-animated so it doesn't block the lower instrument panelor (3) Make the virtual yoke transparent?I've come accross lots of fans of virtual cockpits but I'm surprised no one seems to describe this (fairly obvious) problem.Help! :)

There are several approaches one could use:1) Don't name the parts correctly, then they won't be "animated." (bad)2) Shorten the pedestal and move it back closer to the seat. Keep adjusting and cross-checking in the actual model in FS to achieve your goal: the yoke/pedestal is animated, and may be seen by looking DOWN slightly, but it won't block the full view of the panel's critical areas.3) If using GMax, you can easily write embedded XML code that will allow the simpilot to "click" on a panel 'hotspot' to hide the yoke from view. You could make the yoke itself the 'hotspot,' but then how would you "unhide it?" :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest overdrive

Thanks for the reply.I'm a newbie at editing/creating new aircraft.Is there a simple way to edit let's say the default FS 9 Cesna 172 aircraft files so that the animated yoke is gone? For example, is Gmax able to edit an existing default aircraft model to shorten the pedestal ? If so, how? That way, I can just edit an existing aircraft model to make the yoke go away. Thanks, and best regards. :)

Guest Slacktide

>Thanks for the reply.>>I'm a newbie at editing/creating new aircraft.>>Is there a simple way to edit let's say the default FS 9 Cesna>172 aircraft files so that the animated yoke is gone? >For example, is Gmax able to edit an existing default aircraft>model to shorten the pedestal ? If so, how? >>That way, I can just edit an existing aircraft model to make>the yoke go away. >>Thanks, and best regards. :)Gmax can not edit existing aircraft, it is for new designs only.However, for some aircraft, it is pretty easy to remove the yoke or any other undesired part through the textures. The one caveat is that you cannot remove a part if it is not textured.Here's a quick step-by-step for the default C172:1. Download and install dxtbmp from http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm2. Go to the your aircraft directory, find the C172, and go to it's texture folder. Find the file c172_c.bmp and make a backup copy.3. This bmp is in a special format, and normal picture editors will not display it, so launch dxtbmp and open c172_c.bmp.4. You'll see the yoke texture in the top of the picture. On the right side, you will see a smaller image called the "Alpha Channel." The alpha channel is a special layer in the bitmap file that defines transparancy. You'll notice that in the default 172, the alpha channel is blank, so nothing is transparant.5. On the toolbar, click "Alpha" then "Create Alpha Template". A small greyscale version of the texture will appear in the Alpha Channel.6. Click "Alpha" then "Send Alpha to Editor". By default, dxtbmp uses MS Paint as it's editor, but you can choose a different program in the "Prefs" menu.7. In your graphics editor, color everything you want transparent pure black (color 0,0,0) Color the entire rest of the image pure white (color 255,255,255) Save the file (don't change the folder it saves to)8. Back in DXTBMP, click "Alpha" then "Refresh Alpha". Your edited alpha layer should appear in the Alpha Channel window.9. Click File->Save As->Extended Bitmap. Save the file to the texture folder it came from.10. Start up flightsim. Yoke should be gone:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97513.jpgDan

Guest overdrive

Thanks a bundle slacktide and douglas k, that's genius! I spend a long time trying to find a solution to this problem and I just about gave up. The community support with MSFS is amazing. I'll try this tonight and let you guys know if I have problems, but looks like it should work like a charm!Best Regards :)

Hi.It is my observation that most of the problems with the VC are related to the way it is set up, as default. MS defaults to back seat view. I never have seen any aircraft where you can see from window to window, from pilot