Sign in to follow this  
davjones

Creating wing/passenger views

I recently installed the FFX/SGA MD80 and think the passenger view of the wings that it offers is brilliant, and I want to modify other aircraft to do the same. For those who haven't seen it, the designers have replaced the left/rear, rear and right/rear views with three passenger views of the wing. It's fantastic to land and then watch it afterward in instant replay and see how it looked to the PAX in back. If you forgot to arm the spoilers, you'll find out now.But there's a big difference to start with - in the case of the MD80 this was made to be part of the aircraft, with changes to the panel.cfg to activate it. With my other airplanes, I can't really alter the aircraft itself (I don't think), but I can add and change eyepoints and view directions in the panel.cfg files.I've done this successfully, but with one large problem -- the wing ISN'T VISIBLE in the new views. Does anyone know how to do this, or if it's even possible?In this post, I am referring to 2D cockpits. But part two of this would be how to do it with airplanes that use 3D cockpits to show the rear views. Maybe it's best to save that until part one is sorted out...Sorry I couldn't keep this post shorter, but many thanks in advance for any attention it may bring. ...Dave

Wing views are only possible if the designer cloned those parts into the model's "virtual cockpit" model. Although Erick's MD-80 doesn't have a VC, essentially it "does" in the sense that the wings/engines are part of the VC.There's still many designers who don't include these views, so no amount of .cfg editing will get them in.-John

Thanks for filling me in on that John. Not really the news I wanted to hear, but now I can stop beating my head against the wall for nothing.Since I can't do this myself, what airliners (including propliners) do y'all know about that offers these VC wing views? As I said, I'm really impressed with this feature and I'll have a serious look at any aircraft that offers it.Thanks again! ...Dave

The best freeware wing view I've seen is that in Erick Cantu's new 727... Very nicely textured.The Dreamwings Q400, ERJ's, and Embraer 170 offers wing viewsNick Botamer's great EMB-120POSky's 747IFDG's A319/A320/A321David Maltby's Comet, Trident, BAC-111'sHJG's 707, Convair 990...And many, many more....And if you want a fun to fly light GA Jet, try the Eclipse I worked on with Dave Eckert. Do a search under "Cillis" in the file library....-John

Thanks for this also, John. Hope you don't mind if I post the same question in the general discussion group to learn what some of the others are, although the 727 is downloading as I type this and I'll surely have a look at your Eclipse also! Part of this exercise will be to find and focus on aircraft that also have detailed, authentic panels to go with them. Great group here.