Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Flight dynamics and SID/STAR questions?...

Guest dek

Hi all, I downloaded an aircraft that seems to have the ability to climb at 4000 fpm at the same airspeed that it cruises at. If I cut back on power or torque thru the .cfg file (or FSEdit) the aircraft then will not reach the proper cruising airspeed. Anyone know what variable to change?Also, I have seen a payware aircraft that claims to have SID/STAR capabilities. Do they mean they have included the procedure plates?I don't know a lot about SIDS/STARS, but don't you have to have a controller with the same plates? I didn't think FS9 had such an ATC capability.Thanks, don

Guest IanK

Hello Don, it is not that simple as you need to get the drag fixed before the thrust is corrected. There is the easy way and there is the best way. The max speed exists when there is no more acceleration left as thrust equals drag. Is the thrust too high? Propulsion power = thrust*speed. Or is drag too low. Drag = q*Af=q*CD*S. q is the dynamic pressure due to motion and Af is the effective frontal drag area which has several components. CDo the profile drag coefficient Rec 1101 entry 20 CDi is the vortex induced drag coefficient CDm is the compression/Mach drag coefficient Rec 430 * 2048 e = [1204]:7 *65536 S = [1204]:1 * sq.ft b = [1204]:2 * in !!!!!! CDi = CL^2/(A*pi*e) A = b^2/S If you only change the drag then decelleration with engines idle, gliding will also be effected. Fuel consumption will be increased and range decreased. If you only change thrust then acceleration, ceiling and max. rate of climb will also be effected. Propulsion power depend on: Number of engines [311] Ian

Guest dek

Thanks for the response, Ian. I will take some time to "mull" over it. Ha!Thanks, don

>Also, I have seen a payware aircraft that claims to have>SID/STAR capabilities. Do they mean they have included the>procedure plates?>I don't know a lot about SIDS/STARS, but don't you have to>have a controller with the same plates? I didn't think FS9 had>such an ATC capability.From all commercial add-ons that feature SID/STAR capability I know none that supplies approach plates. :)And correct, this is more like a "gimmick" (or better, an amazing feature) a couple of developers incorporate into their products, but hence it is not natively supported by FS. So no ATC supports on SIDs/STARs, I'm afraid. *:-*Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

Guest vrandar

FS9 ATC cannot handle SIDs and STARs but if you are flying IFR online with VATSIM you will be expected to know about SIDs and STARs and fly them accurately. Payware aircraft like the PSS A3219/A320/A330/A340/Dash8 and the PMDG B737 NG have excellent MCDUs/FMCs including the ability/requirement to input and fly accurate, real world SIDs and STARs with the navdata updated monthly from navdata.at . They do not provide approach plates but these would become out of date anyway. There are many sites where these can be downloaded from, for example www.ais.org.uk for UK charts or look at vatsim.net, but I realise that much of this won't help unless you fly online.