Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Landing Light Effect

I have noticed alot of aircraft, such as lears and boeings, etc etc, that have landing lights that flash. The lights are nice, and look good in my opinion. They simply just flash when turned on. Left flashes then dims out as the Right comes on, then the same with the left. :-rollIs their a way that this can be simulated in FS? I think it would be great if it could. :-jumpyThanks and Happy Holidays! :-wave

Those are "strobing" landing lights and are usually installed "after market" by owners for several reasons, the first of which is that they scare birds out of the way!They are also helpful during the day as an aid to recognition.Simulating it in FS could easily be accomplished by use of a custom gauge, either in C or XML to drive a model that is created with the different tags for the left and right landing lights so they can be strobed on/off individually.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,do you know of some one that could do this? is it very difficult to do? I would love to see this in fs.There is a website from a company that sale the systems to aircraft owners. I had the website but forgot it. It had a few videos that shows what it looks like.Happy Holidays! :-wave

Creating a gauge to do the job is only half of the job. You would need the source code for the model as well in order to rework the landing lights so the gauge could control the left and right lights individually.IOW, it is only a "doable idea" if one has both the gauge and the model to work with. ;)

Fr. Bill    

>could a default light switch be used?No, not really. The only thing that could be accomplished without having the model's source file is to strobe the LL on/off, but the actual system is a "wig-wag," meaning the port and starboard lights strobe alternately.But, a simple gauge to strobe all lights in unison is easily accomplished.

Fr. Bill    

>>could a default light switch be used?>>No, not really. The only thing that could be accomplished>without having the model's source file is to strobe the LL>on/off, but the actual system is a "wig-wag," meaning the port>and starboard lights strobe alternately.>>But, a simple gauge to strobe all lights in unison is easily>accomplished.Couldn't you use bmps that alternate on and off? Using xml and the planes texture. You want these for in flight effects and not on the ground right?Just starting in xml,gauges and textures, just a thought.

>Couldn't you use bmps that alternate on and off? Using xml>and the planes texture. You want these for in flight effects>and not on the ground right?>>Just starting in xml,gauges and textures, just a thought.Not really... unless you have access to the source file for the model and can add the needed polygons & texture assignments.I suppose one could "fake it" using .fx "lights," but then you'd need to co-opt at least two of the available electrical "light busses" in order to control them, along with the "landing light bus."

Fr. Bill