Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Tick Marks?

How do you all create evenly spaced tick marks on the inside of custom created gauges? I've been trying to do so in Photoshop and Illustrator,I just can't seem to get them perfect.Any help is appreciated.Have a wonderful Holiday!/Dave

Well, just checked that ScaleMaker thingy, seems a bit 'outdated' to me, especially quality-wise... :-hmmmAnyways, e. g. in PSP you have an angle tool (just draw a line, you will see the angle on the status bar).Tools like 3ds max even have an angle snap which allows you to easily create arrays of tick marks, spaced perfecly at given angles.You might wanna go to 'the other site' and get gaupaint.zip from Dai Griffiths, Dragonflight Design. He explaines the PSP approach in there.Good luck, :)Etienne :-wave

I use 3dSMax to create faces for instruments. The "Array" tool is just perfect for this purpose.If I could only use Photoshop, I'd create a single line from edge to edge through the centerpoint, then copy-paste-rotate as many as needed to complete the tickmarks.Then, on a new layer, I'd create a circular mask that I could use to set the lasso tool, then delete the unneeded lines in the center, leaving only the tick marks, evenly spaced...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Then, on a new layer, I'd create a circular mask that I could>use to set the lasso tool, then delete the unneeded lines in>the center, leaving only the tick marks, evenly spaced...Exactly, seems like the method described in gaupaint.zip mentioned above.

>>Then, on a new layer, I'd create a circular mask that I>could>>use to set the lasso tool, then delete the unneeded lines in>>the center, leaving only the tick marks, evenly spaced...>>Exactly, seems like the method described in gaupaint.zip>mentioned above.Well, how about that! I've never read Dai's gauge paint tutorial before. Perhaps I should! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator