Sign in to follow this  
BlueString

2 hours in a United flight simulator on eBay

Who in the world would spend so much for 2 hours? I think the going rate is somewhere around $500/hr, but that was a few years back, say 3 years, at the United facility in Denver. I flew a Level-D 747-400 - what a blast!http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest Eek

>Who in the world would spend so much for 2 hours?Someone who wants to give to charity? Just a hunch...EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)

You could get your private ticket for that kind of money.

You might have missed that big AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY CHARITY logo? I would assume assume those bidding are not concerned with how much the simulator time costs but rather that they money goes to helping people who can't fly in a simulator themselves because they are DYING of cancer? :-roll

Nope, I saw it and understand it just fine.

Mike and Ewing-Yeah nice banner, they do good work. But people with that kind of money to spend on charity likely do not troll eBay looking for ways to give. Just a hunch.....http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Alex:I've got a hunch that you are completely wrong in that assumption. You may (or may not)have noticed that cars such as Ferrari's are for sale on e-Bay and have bids on them. Aircraft are for sale and have bids on them. Other high ticket items have bids on them. MANY charities hold auctions on Ebay NOT because they are looking for 18 year olds looking for a good price for a pair of sneekers but because it is the defacto bidding medium that affords the organization global coverage. The demographic for e-Bay spans everyone from cost concious teenagers to millionaires with money to burn. Note that bidders for these types of high priced auctions are prescreened before a bid can be entered, whereas the interested party's financial resources are verfied before a bid is placed and it appears that there is no shortage of bidders. The bidders are not concerned so much with the prize itself or the cost of the prize outside of the auction, so much as that they have given of themselves unselfishly. If your assumption were correct then the auction would not have 15 prescreened bidders right?Don't you think that people know that they can buy a steak dinner for two for $100 when they are bidding on a $2,500 a plate charity dinner? Its not about the money, its about what the money does to help those who need it the most.

Did anyone notice at the top "you could win a behind-the-scenes..."?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Here's the official press release link FROM United FROM their site ROFL: I'd say it's legit.http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,59137,00.html

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest Eek

>Mike and Ewing->>Yeah nice banner, they do good work. But people with that kind>of money to spend on charity likely do not troll eBay looking>for ways to give. Just a hunch.....Alex:I think your perception of ebayers, as a bunch of cheapskate bargain hunters, is incorrect. People with that kind of money are probably looking for rare and unusual items. I don't have that kind of money, but most of the items I've gotten from ebay have been unusual or hard to find. It's an excellent place to find things they don't sell at WalMart.You also have to consider that for some, ebay itself, is a hobby. People love auctions.EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9 on WinXPPro (SP1)

Package consists of roundtrip, domestic air travel for two (2) people to Denver, Colorado from the airport nearest the participant