Sign in to follow this  
Herbie63

Use of the spirit periscope XML gauge

Hi all, I've made a TV monitor type gauge which is placed on the panel and gives the pilot a forward view that can be manipulated by turning a zoom control knob. All works well in 2D view. However, in the VC view, it just behaves like a hole in the panel, and the zoom feature does not work. Is there a way to get control back in the VC view.Happy holidays,Nick.

Nick, that gauge won't work in the VC. In order to have the same function in the VC, you need to model the gauge in the makemdl.parts.xml file and compile it into the model.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Many thanks for your reply, Bill. Further to this, I have a PFD and a MFD that are switchable between bright and luminous which works a treat in the 2D view. However, in VC again, they only show bright ragardless of the switch position. Any ideas?Thanks,Nick.

Hi, I'm working on such a gauge as well - for 2D panel. But I can't get it react on changing values for zoom, heading and so on. Could you please point me in the right direction how you managed that?Best regards, Herbert

>Many thanks for your reply, Bill. Further to this, I have a>PFD and a MFD that are switchable between bright and luminous>which works a treat in the 2D view. However, in VC again, they>only show bright ragardless of the switch position. Any>ideas?AFAIK, "luminous" won't work in a VC. You should probably be using an alternate technique for "brightness," by making use of the Transparency flag: (A:Circuit general panel on, bool) (L:bright,enum) 0 == This is the basic structure that Jan posted back when his computer's time was obviously not set, since the date is Dec-31-1969... ;)http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...e=&topic_page=2Basically, he uses the L:bright,enum to control a series of sections as above with a range of 0.5 to 1.0 in 0.5 steps.This will work in both the 2d and the VC, and provides a wider range of "brightness."Unfortunately, there's no C gauge equivalent... ;(

Fr. Bill    

Many thanks for the reply Bill. I'm using this technique at present. The gauges have the ability to be switched to luminous, bright and night view (dimmed on both luminous and bright). I was using an alpha bitmap to do this initially as these can be shaped to any form, whereas transparent shapes can only be rectangular or circular. However, when switched on, the framerates dropped. Transparent does not effect framerates, and you can use masks according to the shape. But thanks for confirming that luminous is not available in VC view. Wonder why MS left this out, and maybe will be corrected in future versions.Thanks again,Nick.

>Wonder why MS left this out, and maybe will be corrected>in future versions.That's simple. There's no 24bit .bmp in the VC to apply the "luminous" to! ;)

Fr. Bill    

Sorry Herbie63, I must have missed you.Herbie63 said,My question is: did you manage to make that gauge "look" into an other direction than forward using other values for heading or pitch? If so, would you share this knowledge?I'm working on such a gauge, but can't get it working. The only thing I managed was to change the zoom factor - as you described too.At the moment it is only for a 2D panel, the use in VC is an other thing, I_m not working on at the moment.Thank you very much in advance - any help is welcome.Best regards, Herbert PralleHeading and pitch do not work.You say you got zoom working ok so that's good.You can move sideways and up and down, but does not look realistic as the view point moves away from the aicraft which is impossible unless you have a camera on a stick. It does not work in VC view. You just get a hole in the panel.I hope this helps,Nick.

Thank you NickTo say the truth, your answer did not really help me. But if the heading and pitch features aren't supported no one else (exepts MS) could have helped me better. :-) :-hmmm .Thanks again,Herbert