Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trevor de S

Displaying text in VC gauges.

Guest Trevor de S

Hi,I am currently working on the VC for an aircraft (I'm doing the parts.XML file programming, while someone else does all the artwork and generates the aircraft.x and aircraft_interior.x files).How does one include text as an element of a 3d VC gauge???Regards,Trevor

The same way you apply a texture to any part of the visual model, place them in the a/c's texture folder. Or, if you want to be truly devilish, place them in the FS9texture folder where they won't be found easily... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Trevor de S

Sorry Bill, I obviously didn't phrase my question well enough. I need to display a dynamic string indicating the current value of a variable, specifically TACAN bearing (actaully VOR) range and time to station. I appreciate that for static text one would just incorporate it into the texture file.Regards,Trevor.

Guest Trevor de S

Sorry Jim this one missed the point of my question too.Your thread gives help with inserting text into the context of for the main 2D pannels which I have been doing successfully for over 2 years now.I now wish to display a text string onto a texture polygon (named tacan_display) in the Virtual Cockpit which means inseting something into the Makemdl_aircraft.parts.xml file in the context of tacan_display Is it possible? If so, what is the syntax.Regards,Trevor

Oh, you want to display a string in an embedded XML gauge... Honestly, I don't have a clue. Sorry... *:-* I don't "do" XML much any longer, having moved on to C, C++ and GDI+... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I see what you're saying. Hmmm, haven't really given VCs the time of day, but it seems like I've seen text in VC mode, but maybe it was actually .bmps doing the thing. Good luck, sorry couldn't help.Jim

Guest Trevor de S

Thanks for the comments guys.Like you Jim, I hadn't given VC's any thought until the last couple of months, but now I'm learning fast. For a TACAN indicator most of the character requirements can be met by "rollers" with the odd extra character position other than 0-9. However the 4 postions used for station ident need A-Z plus 8 and - which would make text a much more attractive proposition if I can work out how to do it. The other potential problem is that with 2 rows of characters one above the other, I'm not certain that GMax would let us position the two rows of rollers where we need them (I leave the GMax to someone else - I just handle the XML). So I remain open to any suggestions from anyone with any experience in this area.Trevor