Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Pitot Heat switch

Guest bollom

I'm trying to make a pitot heat switch for a pannel that's missing it's... Can anyone help me in my quest? I'm not a complete programming newbie, but I am when it comes to FS programming... lolThanks!-Brian

If you want the "quick and easy way," then look no further that unzipping the baron_baron.CAB file and follow the examples in there.Even easier, d/l CPT Toggles and Switches XML Multi-Gauges V1.2...http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=22322There's a huge variety of switches, buttons and toggles already programmed for most functions.If you want to program in C, then that's a bit more challenging, since you need to have - and know how to use! - a C compiler, such as MSVC or Borland Bcc55 or MinGW.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest bollom

Ok, that link helps a lot. My next question is, what program do I need to create cab files?Thanks!-Brian

Guest dek

Hi Brian,There used to be several free cab packers available on the net. Probably still are.One was called "cabpack14". Works well.don

>Ok, that link helps a lot. My next question is, what program>do I need to create cab files?Why not simply use the CAB utility available from the MSFS website? It's right there with the rest of the SDK's... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Robert Sanderson

"Why not simply use the CAB utility available from the MSFS website? It's right there with the rest of the SDK's... ;)"This was the best solution for me. After reading what Bill had to say about it some months ago in this forum, I downloaded the SDK and found cabdir to be much easier to use than anything else I had tried. You simply place a copy of the cabdir.exe file in the folder where you have your gauge, then drag your gauge folder and drop it on cabdir and your .cab file will appear shortly after that. Couldn't be easier, just drag, drop, and there's your gauge.The cabdir.exe file can also be found in the Flight Simulator 9 folder, so there's no need to even download the SDK. Just copy it elsewhere and create your cab files. You could even paste your gauge folder into the FS2004 folder and cab your gauge files there, but it's probably best to do it elsewhere to avoid searching for your cab file among the flightsim files.:)Robert

Guest bollom

ok, hopefully last question...I've gotten the cab created with cabdir (very easy to use, thanks Robert!) and the switch works except for one thing... the bitmaps aren't visible. I currently have them saved as DXT3 bitmaps so I can see the panel background in the 4 corners(round switch).Here's my question: What format do the bitmaps need to be in to be visible?Thanks!-Brian

Guest Robert Sanderson

"I've gotten the cab created with cabdir (very easy to use, thanks Robert!) and the switch works except for one thing... the bitmaps aren't visible. I currently have them saved as DXT3 bitmaps so I can see the panel background in the 4 corners(round switch)."You're welcome Brian, but any thanks for that tip should go to Bill Leaming. Without his advice I'd probably still be using CabPack and wondering what compression type to use, MSZIP, LZX or whatever.Thanks Bill.:)"Here's my question: What format do the bitmaps need to be in to be visible?"MS uses 8 bit textures in their XML gauges, and I've used 24 bit with good results. DXT3 will not work. If you want a transparent area around the edges to show the panel then paint that area pure black RGB 0,0,0. Best regards,Robert