Sign in to follow this  
Guest grimmy69

xml switch for smoke pods

Can't help you with the fuel gauges (I have no experiance there)Have you tried contacting the author of the gauges ??Quote from a previous message:""I am in the middle of a thousand work projects and I reallydon't have much time to work with these gauges and learn XMLright now. I simply copy code from other gauges and modifyit, without fully understanding what I am doing....""I'm sorry to say, that statements like these aren't very encouraging for people trying to help you solve a problem and learn from it.... I strongly suggest you either put some more effort in trying to learn XML, or stay away from making modifications in XML gauges without taking the time to properly understand what it does.That is, if you expect people here in this forum to help you ....And I've formulated this as mildly as I can :-)Regards, Rob

Guest grimmy69

I am really sorry if I offended someone by that quote! It really wasn't my intention. I've been working day and night for two months on what initally was only supposed to be a simple repaint, but due to requests has grown to a much larger project involving amongst other things, adjusted flight dynamics and new gauges. I am in contact with the author, but since he also works full-time as a flight mechanic, he is not always reachable.The last couple of weeks, I have searched the internet for good information on XML and FS, but I haven't found anything good. I have also searched all messages in this forum and others, trying to understand how the syntax and codes work. When I mentioned the time factor, it was simply a description of my situation. I am more than fully booked the next coming six months as a freelance designer. For this repaint I get requests that require me learning XML and I would like to accomodate the people asking for this, but since I have found no good information, it takes too much time right now. I really need a quick course in XML for panel design. Any suggestions on where I can learn more would be greatly appreciated! That is also the reason why I mentioned this wish in a previous message.I was also hoping to receive help to figure out these problems, and you definitely have helped me a lot. I hope I expressed my gratitude earlier, if not thanks! :)If anyone know of good links to learning XML in panel design, then please point me in the right direction. I am not giving up on this, especially not when it is so close to working.Once again, my appologies for sounding arrogant. It wasn't my intention.Thanks,Roger

Hi Roger,No appology needed, also no offence felt by me.Just some factual advice :-)There simply is no quick-course in XML gauge design, like there is also no proper documentation (other than the events/variables like in the panel SDK); everyone just learns by doing and (I assume) has the same slow learning curve based on trial&error.If I were in your shoes (with obviously too much work committed), I'd try to team up with somebody that knows his way in XML design, to off-load some of the work. Which is a bit different approach to the problem you're facing :-)Not me by the way (too much work myself)Cheers, Rob

Guest grimmy69

Hi again!Thanks for responding!Teaming up with someone sounds like a good idea, but if that doesn't work out i'll try to finish it myself. There is really very little work left on the gauges, since they work satisfactory, although not perfectly.The repaint for FSQuality's SAAB 105 I started working on now contains three different exterior textures, new interior textures, new flight dynamics adjusted to the Swedish weaker engines and smaller fuel capacity, four different panels, new gauges and switches, new startup and shutdown procedures and finally, smoke pods for the aerobatics version. Also there are 10 differently textured AI-aircraft based on real aircraft, stationed at the four different airbases where they actually have been.Phew, this repaint kind of grew a bit and I've used all my spare time the last two months. My wife is now on the brink of murder, so I think I'll have to consider this finished now...If anyone, has any ideas on how to solve the problems mentioned above, I would be immensely grateful! All the best,Roger