Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

Is there a full functioning XML autopilot?

Guest iholrf

Hey all,I am looking for an XML autopilot code snippit I can use in a panel I am building. All of the various xml autopilots I have found seem to be broken. For reasons unknown none of them seem to work on gps/nav mode, nor on APR or BC. They are broken not just on my panel but on the panels I have seen them incorporated in as well, so I know its not me. Fixing the code is beyond my skill level at this time, so any help would be most welcome.Its driving me crazy because the Kingair autopilot is the only stock part left on a completely custom panel and I really really really hate stock parts. Did I mention I really hate stock parts? ;)TIAShad

"All of the various xml autopilots I have found seem to be broken. For reasons unknown none of them seem to work on gps/nav mode, nor on APR or BC."Considering that quite literally thousands of folks use the default XML Autopilots without problems, I'd suspect something else is the problem then, such missing files, or improper pilotage...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest iholrf

>"All of the various xml autopilots I have found seem to be>broken. For reasons unknown none of them seem to work on>gps/nav mode, nor on APR or BC.">>Considering that quite literally thousands of folks use>the default XML Autopilots without problems, I'd suspect>something else is the problem then, such missing files, or>improper pilotage...I find it sad that the very first reply to my very first post to this forum had to end with a rude dig about my potential skill as a pilot.How hard would it have been to say something akin to: "Hi Shad. Yes a lot of the freeware autopilots seem to be broken. You will probably need to construct your own by looking at the examples found in the 737 cab file. You mentioned in your post that your skills were not up to the job of repairing the other APs but you should be able to put something together that works. Feel free to post questions"But no. SighShad

Guest dko60202

Shad,I'm currently working on my own XML autopilot (modeled after the B/K KFC225) The code is pretty trivial, I simply fire the K:AP_ALT_HOLD or K:AP_BC_HOLD when the user hits the APR or REV buttons; and let MSFS do all the work...I spent an hour or so last night doing front- and back-course approaches on autopilot to KORD 14L (109.75, if memory serves) and experienced no problems at all. (My AP is installed in the MS default C172 aircraft) I haven't tested GPS mode yet...BTW, I dont think Bill intended a "rude dig" about your pilotage, but rather a suggestion to widen the scope of your search for a solution. Perhaps it would help if you could explain what you mean by "not working"?Feel free to post questions, :-)Douglas

Hi,Show us what you have and what you need.A lot of us have custom autopilots in xml, may be not completely real, but it works.What plane?Try to do a search here on autopilot and their functions.And we are all nice guy's!Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest iholrf

>BTW, I dont think Bill intended a "rude dig" about your>pilotage, but rather a suggestion to widen the scope of your>search for a solution. Perhaps it would help if you could>explain what you mean by "not working"?>>Feel free to post questions, :-)>>DouglasHi Doug,Actually, Bill did put me on the right track, so thank you Bill. I had not realized the 737 had an XML autopilot, I thought it was a gau. While I was hoping to have an "All in one file" already made that somebody might share, I now have all the parts necessary to make my own which pleases me to no end. :)As for broken, I made an assumption that others would have experienced the same problem, thus no explaination required. My bad. :-) By broken, I mean I cannot select nav hold, apr hold, bc etc. they just don't activate. Why? I have no clue. The bedix works fine, the 737 parts all work fine... so I know its not my cfg.When I am done, I will share the results of my labour with the community.The box below says I can include an attachment, so to that end I have included a screen shot of Version 4.2 beta 3 ;), a 4 pane (plt/cplt/upper/lower) panel I am making for a heavily modified version of Beech Model 18 Volpar conversion (VC/Lighting/Textures/ac.cfg)The screen shot is of the pilot view. There is still much work to be done.Thanks and sorry if I sounded grumpy.Shad

Guest iholrf

>The box below says I can include an attachment, so to that end>I have included a screen shot of Version 4.2 beta 3 ;), a 4>pane (plt/cplt/upper/lower) panel I am making for a heavily>modified version of Beech Model 18 Volpar conversion>(VC/Lighting/Textures/ac.cfg)And one of the plt view at night. C/plt is pretty but still not ready for general consumption. The radios/autopilot are what I am finishing up now, then on to the ECU.Shad

Guest Dasher7

Could it possibly be missing information in the aircraft.cfg? Experts?regards,Halfdan

>Actually, Bill did put me on the right track, so thank you>Bill. I had not realized the 737 had an XML autopilot, I>thought it was a gau. While I was hoping to have an "All in>one file" already made that somebody might share, I now have>all the parts necessary to make my own which pleases me to no>end. :)>>As for broken, I made an assumption that others would have>experienced the same problem, thus no explaination required.>My bad. :-) By broken, I mean I cannot select nav hold, apr>hold, bc etc. they just don't activate. Why? I have no clue.>The bedix works fine, the 737 parts all work fine... so I know>its not my cfg.Great! Doug was entirely correct about my intentions, Shad. Given the lack of specificity in your initial post, it was not possible to be more specific in my reply, so I pointed to the (obvious) fact that the default XML Autopilot gauges work without problems, hence mentioned two places to investigate for a possible answer:1) missing files - which would include missing lines in the XML code, syntax errors, and other assorted ills...2) improper pilotage - based on years of reading and assisting fellow simpilots in numerous fora, I've found that well over 90% of the time folks who insist that an AP is "defective" because they "can't catch the glideslope," is the result of them trying to intercept at too great an angle, excessive speed, or improper descent, which results in the AP trying to intercept the GS from "above" rather than "below."Anyway, I'm delighted that you got it sorted out. BTW, those screenies look NICE! Good job, sir!

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

>Great! Doug was entirely correct about my intentions, Shad. >Given the lack of specificity in your initial post, it was not>possible to be more specific in my reply, so I pointed to the>(obvious) fact that the default XML Autopilot gauges work>without problems, hence mentioned two places to investigate>for a possible answer:Hi Bill,I am sorry we got off on the wrong foot. I apologise for my assumption as to your intent. *hanging head in shame*. :)I finished the prototype late last night; today I will refine it and then when its finished I will run a diff on the other AP's I have found and try to see why they fail. I suspect its a simple syntax error as most problems I have found with other gauges are all obscure but simple to fix once the problem is tracked down.I started fiddleing with panels late in november after I injured myself in a bad bike crash (three broken ribs and a sliped disk in my neck). I have learned a lot in a very short period of time, but given that I have little formal programming experience except for HTML/DTML/DHTML, a lot of the time I don't even know what question to ask when things don't work heheh.Needless to say, once I discoverd the XML aspect of many guages it wasn't long before I just had to hack one. Thats all it took, I was hooked. Since then I have learned how to use Paint Shop Pro (never painted a thing in my life before this panel), studied the SDKs and am enjoying a love affair with XML. Honestly, I would not have thought I had any talent for this, but it seems I do. Its quite thrilling.To be frank, I am enjoying MSFS9 far more now that I am leaning how to manipulate it to my needs. It went from a $90.00(CDN) novelty to a growing obsession.CheersShad

Guest iholrf

>Could it possibly be missing information in the aircraft.cfg?>Experts?>>regards,>HalfdanI would have to say it is not that as the broken autopilots work on none of the ac I have tried them in except for heading hold. APR, NAV and BC do not work (cannot be turned on). They do not work in the AC I am building the autopilot for, yet the default (Bendix .gau and 747 .XML) both work fine in my AC. I will test it in the others and let everybody know the reults.I have learned enough to suspect that the culprit is likely a rather simple error as I have noticed enough code breakage in my own stuff due to small, usually careless mistakes (typos).Shad

>To be frank, I am enjoying MSFS9 far more now that I am>leaning how to manipulate it to my needs. It went from a>$90.00(CDN) novelty to a growing obsession.Sorry to hear about the accident. I had major back surgery 2 years ago to remove lesions on L4 & L5, "decalcify" the nerve channel that was pinching the spinal cord, and repair two ruptured disks.As a result, although I am technically ambulatory, I cannot remain on my feet for extended periods (just going to the grocery store is exhausting), but am not "disabled enough" to qualify for SS disability.How delighted I am that I've been able to turn my "obsession" (which began with FS2k) into a full-time job... ;) While I'll never "get rich" from FS development work, it does keep the bills paid until I'm old enough to be elgible for SS "retirement." ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

>How delighted I am that I've been able to turn my "obsession">(which began with FS2k) into a full-time job... ;) While I'll>never "get rich" from FS development work, it does keep the>bills paid until I'm old enough to be elgible for SS>"retirement." ;)No, no. You have to think "I will be rich, I will be rich!" :) I think its great that you can make a living doing this. I can't say I know how you feel, as my injuries were not as severe as yours, but I empathize. Loosing my mobility for a couple of months has not been a lot of fun, esp. as I am a very active guy.However, like most things in life, the negative of the injury turned into a positive learning experience, so in many ways it was a blessing in disguise.CheersShad