Sign in to follow this  
boshar

I am DONE with PC Games. Console here I come...

Guest JIMJAM

Well except for the masterfully programmed FSX, most PC games today are CRAP!The last 3 I have bought DO NOT WORK...Rainbow6 Vegas 2- A patch was released on... release day.I bought it for $50 and it will not run.I get a "video card not supported".My computer meets and exceeds all its specs and it even has a prog that show you sso.The forums are bloated with people having problems and Ubisoft offers ZERO support, Nada,none.Some want yo to roll back drivers which causes problems with other games.Some want reg edits. Settings so specific that you can BET its going to interfere with others.So today I buy Gears of War.Another $50 buts its been out a while and has great reviews.I get the infamous "wargame-g4wlive,exe error on load up.So I make a trip to their forums and guess what...Its bloated with people who cannot run the game.And when they do get a patch, alot of times it causes even more problems....Doom3.....HA..I am starting to hyperventilate. :-fume Sorry but after a long day of bios updates,drivers,settings,configs,updates,I needed to vent.I am going tommorow to buy either a XBOX or PS3.I will continue to maintain my current computer for FSX but I AM DONE WITH PC GAMES..... Just too much $$$ and effort to keep up and even then its still 50/50 if the game will run well if at ALL.:-grr

Thanx for your post, and sorry for your trouble. But then again who of us here hasn't "wasted" at least an equal amount of time and money(or more). I'm sure many would substitute FSX for any of the titles you mentioned. Have fun.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest JIMJAM

The Orange Box,Bioshock,Crysis,Medal Of Honor series....There have been some great ones...Alot of these including FSX RAN... I do not mind throwing money at hardware to increase performance or lifting the hood to tweak out some more fps.. Im talking about these 1/2 as*** ports that only run for a select few.If a game runs,say FSX even poorly that requires some TLC and $$$, I can deal with that.But when they dump a game that just flat out is broken and they leave it to you to try and figure out,thats what has me fired up.I would just assume buy 2 $600 video cards in SLI to get 20% performance gain in FSX than spend another minute scrolling through page after page of other peoples problems,possible solutions and fixes to try to JUST get another first person shooter/port to RUN.I am going to get a console,hook it up to a HUGE LCD TV with lots of speakers and press START.:-)

If you want to play games like MOH, COD, Doom, Half Life... etc.. the best option is to get a console... The limitations with the consoles is the interface that is available to them, and also the lack of space to store data.. (which is changing now).. I suppose the other thing is the lack of modifications you can make to games to personalise them..For these reasons, any strategy based game worth it's salt will more than likely be on PC... Flight Simulators require the keyboard interface of the PC to provide the necessary in game functionality... Also MSFS has always been a platform you buy and then improve on with addons etc... This is best on a PC..I've decided to go this way with gaming... Buy a great PC for strategy only games.. and simulation... Buy a PS3 for everything else.. and get the version with the Blue Ray player in it.. so you kill two birds with one stone..Consoles never need upgrading to run their latest games.. the games always work because the architecture they run on is STATIC.. it never varies.. so the testing needed is not as much really..Go console for your shooters, driving games... go PC for strategy and Simulation... do not buy shooters for PCs.. it's a waste of time..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest JIMJAM

I have been at this for a LONG time and still cannot beleive a mouse has not been created to use in consoles.I owned a PS2 and at first the graphics are horrible but they quickly grow on you as good gameplay takes over.I am taking back a 8800gt I was going to try in SLI and Ive decided on the PS3.Gears of War was from MS makes you actually have to join their online servers LiVE in order to save you games. This is for single player pc not jusr Xbox and in order to create save ponts in game and save your settings,say res,sound and general gameplay settings, you need to connect to their servers!My error which is common is in my pc connecting with their servers to ALLOW me to play.I tried everything but I refuse to join thier online gameing service simply to allow me to play at home.And guess which proccessors the game has problems with......Yup, AMD......Seems anything not adverstised on the box causes some type of issue.Later....

I have a PS3 and I have to say it's great. Awesome as a home media server and Blu-ray player (all PS3 models have BD as standard).The best part has been the recent release of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue....that really is a blast, especially on multiplayer.

Guest JIMJAM

I bought the PS3 today along with 2 racing games,Grand Turismo 5 and Motor storm. GT5 looks INCREDIBLE and it works with my PC Logitech driving wheel.The other 2 were Resistance fall of man and Assasins creed.I can already tell I love the racing/action games but after using a mouse for so long,1st person shooters are really hard for me.The instant reaction is not there and the key combinations are confusing.But hey, I played off and on for 4 hours and didnt have a single lock up or CTD.I can also let freinds,family and their kids play.I am running 1080p and 1950x1500.GT5 looks so real its almost like watching a race on HD.So for the price of a top end vid card that will be obsolete and worth 1/3 of its value in 6 months, I got the system and 4 games.Come XMAS plan to upgrade my computer but I need a break from PC tweaking.Betreen XP/VISTA/DX9/DX10, now is just a bad time. I feel sorry for the developers trying to program a game to run in the middle of all this mess.But I am also not going to be a paying beta tester either.

Guest nihongo

I am a flight sim nut. I will never turn to the dark side.......Gotta have that PC!!!!Being able to be in control is what I think is good.

you are buying console ports that is the problem :). Also what operating system do you use? XP is still a much better gaming platform then vista out of a compability standpoint.Otherwise for sure get a 360 (much more games then the PS 3 and they do tend to look better and superior gamepad).However since they got internet connection expect to see patches here as well but yeah you can expect less compability issues of course. Frame rate issues you can

PC platform is like the sky. It's there. It's far from being simple or perfect. If one can't tackle flying. Nothing wrong with that. Drive.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I must say that I have never been a console gamer, mostly because of the limitless possibilities and superior graphics with PC games. Funny story actually, one day I was at the grocery store and I saw a small kid rolling around the store on his shoes and I thought "those things are so awesome!" so I went to 3 different malls lookings for them (they're called heely's), but no one had my size (13). So I went to their website to see where I could get them and found out that they didn't make them in my size, stating that it would be "cost prohibitive" for them to manufacture them in any size above 12... So, I was furious to say the least, so I went to Best Buy and bought myself a new HD LCDTV, a home theater system, and a PS3 all because I couldn't get those awesome shoes. Anyway, point being, I love my new system and Blu-Ray is amazing! GTA IV comes out in 3 days and Call of Duty 4 is a lot of fun. Enjoy your PS3, and by the way, the incredible GT5 games you bought isn't GT5 at all, it's the prologue and it's just a taste of what's to come with Gran Turismo. Also, you got to hook your PS3 up to the net and grab some of the free demos from the playstation store. I think we're at the point now (with PS3 and 360) where consoles can deliver just as much content and beautiful graphics as the computer, which in my opinion was never the case until now.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest JIMJAM

Got both the PC ans PS3 running in unison. Just a controller click and change the input.So I can race some and then surf some.The racing game are great but I am going to take back and exhange the FPS/3rd person games.Highty rated such as Assasins creed which looks really great but the aiming system and the sheer amount of memory involved in button combinations is overwhelming me. I do not have a teenagers cat like reflexes and eyes no more.I was also hit by the worst virus/bug I have ever had on the PC this morning..Out of no where I started getting popups filling the screen that you could not click away. Then came the "are you sure you want to install" warning from my software as more programs were trying to install themselves.Found out it was called VIRTUMONDE.DLL.Really,really nasty and very hard to get rid of.I have ran multible programs some specific to it and still having some online wierdness.I am still trying to figure out how to hook the PS3 to the internet.Simply unplugging the computer cable and into the box doesnt work.I have high speed road runner/aol.

True to play COD 4 or other fps on consoles when you have a PC is counter productive... Much funnier to run on PC and be able to run higher difficulty levels because of better controls :)Assassins Creed though that type of games is better suited for gamepads since it

Guest PARADISE

I predict that most "PC games" will only be available for console play by 2010. The PC is quickly becoming a necessary tool for everyday life instead of an entertainment media. This need will evolve the PC away from gaming and into more seriuos endevours. On the up side, consoles in 2010 will probably exceed the performance many of us are getting on today's PC's........so game play should actually improve.