Sign in to follow this  
Guest badger43

Editing aircraft wake/water effects

Guest badger43

Hi,I have installed Jens B. Kristensen's Short Bros. S.23 Empire C-class aircraft and I want to edit the water effects so that it has a trailing type wake as other amphibian aircraft do but I am unsure how to or what to edit. I changed the aircraft cfg. file to use the water effects from Mikko Maliniemi's Maule and that has made it a little better but still not quite right.Can someone help or point me in the right direction please?Kind regards,Garry

Guest iholrf

>Hi,>I have installed Jens B. Kristensen's Short Bros. S.23 Empire>C-class aircraft and I want to edit the water effects so that>it has a trailing type wake as other amphibian aircraft do but>I am unsure how to or what to edit. I changed the aircraft>cfg. file to use the water effects from Mikko Maliniemi's>Maule and that has made it a little better but still not quite>right.>>Can someone help or point me in the right direction please?>>Kind regards,>>GarryAs a start, I would take a look at what the built-in AC like the Cessna use in their AC config and emulate that. Look at the contact points as well as the effects section. -- IIRC the Short Sunderland model .... hold on let me dig it out.... "sg_sunderland.zip" available here, has decent water effects and is a very similar model to the C-Class. Check it out and compare the two to see what's different.CheersShad

Guest badger43

>As a start, I would take a look at what the built-in AC like>the Cessna use in their AC config and emulate that. Look at>the contact points as well as the effects section. -- IIRC the>Short Sunderland model .... hold on let me dig it out....>"sg_sunderland.zip" available here, has decent water effects>and is a very similar model to the C-Class. Check it out and>compare the two to see what's different.>>Cheers>ShadThanks Shad,I downloaded the Sunderland and checked out the aircraft cfg file but honestly when it comes to contact points, I haven't got a clue as to what I am looking at.I downloaded and tried the files "waterlan.zip,waterfx.zip and waterup2.zip" and I they certainly changed the wake but either way too much or not really enough.I think the main problem is, I simply don't know what I am doing. As I said, I have no idea what I am looking at when I look at the contact points in the cfg file.That aside, I do appreciate your help.kind regards,Garry

Guest iholrf

Looking at the SG sunderland cfg, it uses fx_wake and fx_spray, both of which are default I believe. Upon further examination so does the Cessna Amphib.Contact points are ordered thusly:0 Class1 Longitudinal Position (feet)2 Lateral Position (feet)3 Vertical Position (feet)4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)6 Wheel Radius (feet)7 Steer Angle (degrees)8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)9 Max/Static Compression Ratio10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)11 Extension Time (seconds)12 Retraction Time (seconds)13 Sound TypeOn a seaplane there are parts that will touch the water and should trigger the effect.Hope this helpsShad

Guest badger43

Thanks ShadActually that does help quite a bit. I have an idea what to play with now.I have played with different wake and water effects files and decided on using the "fx_wake_m.fx" file so now with the above info I will play around with the aircraft over the weekend and see if I can make it a bit better.Thanks again for your help.Regards,Garry