Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

XML development process

Guest scoman81

I'm curious how other people are handling XML gauge programming...First, I assume that no one is developing using CAB files. It's obviously easier to make a folder in the Gauges or Panel subirectory, named the same as the gauge, and have all your files unzipped in there.But how do you handle the fact that FS seems to keep the XML file open, even after you end the flight? In other words, you're in the plane testing your gauge, and you need to change the XML. So you edit it, but you can't save it because you get a sharing violation. Even if I end the flight, I still can't save the file.So what I end up doing is creating two copies of the XML file, and baiscally do a Save As every time I want to save, toggling between saving as test.xml and test2.xml. This requires that I also have panel.cfg open, and change the name of the gauge, too.Surely there's an easier way? Thanks,Dave

(>K:RELOAD_PANELS)The bitmap is just a small coloured square so you can see where to click. Position this gauge on your panel. Open the aircraft and click on this gauge. The panel just takes a couple of seconds to reset. Then make changes to a gauge and save. Click on reset gauge for changes to be reloaded.nick

Guest scoman81

Thanks - I will give this a try!Dave

>I'm curious how other people are handling XML gauge>programming...>>First, I assume that no one is developing using CAB files.>It's obviously easier to make a folder in the Gauges or Panel>subirectory, named the same as the gauge, and have all your>files unzipped in there.>-SNIP- Well, I use CAB files...they are much easier to deal with in terms of keeping gauges in the aircraft panel folders. I tend to keep the gauges I develop with the panel that I developed them for and don't want to clutter up my FS9 gauge directory with more directories....I already have in excess of 4000 gau and cab files there as it is! I have a seperate XML directory on another drive that I use to create/edit gauges. In that directory is the CABDIR exe. Once I've made my changes I drag the gauge folder to the CABDIR exe and then drag the CAB file that was created to the panel folder I am installing it to. I then hit, in my case, CTL+' which I have mapped to the FS9 commands "Reload User Aircraft" to refresh the panel and load the edited CAB file. I also have CTL+; mapped to "Reset Current Flight". These assignments can be made under "Settings", "Assignments" from the FS9 main menu. There are no "file in use" kinds of problems using this CAB replacement method. As to CAB vs folders...I recently created a suite of gauges for my Lockheed L-188 Electra panel. One of the gauge folders is 5.56MB is size. The CAB file of that directory is only 1.05MB in size....a 5:1 reduction. When your main FS9 directory contains 700+ aircraft and eats up 26 GB of a 32 GB partition, you want to conserve space wherever possible :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest iholrf

Heh, a lot like what I do. For a really clean look at the work you have a done, a restart of the game is always the way to go.WRT to your 20+ gig FS install.. I got tired of the massive size, so now I simply keep a clean system except for the plane I'm working on. Makes load times much faster, and much less clutter. I have an archive of zipped favorite AC and scenery. I unpack what I need and then remove it when I'm done. This is excessive for most people, I know, but after the complete mess all the addons made the last install, this is the way I decided to go, if only to keep my own sanity ;).CheersShad

Guest scoman81

This worked perfectly, thank you.Dave

>Heh, a lot like what I do. For a really clean look at the>work you have a done, a restart of the game is always the way>to go.>>WRT to your 20+ gig FS install.. I got tired of the massive>size, so now I simply keep a clean system except for the plane>I'm working on. Makes load times much faster, and much less>clutter. -SNIP- Yes, my "flying" FS9 install does take forever to load but my "clean" FS9 install on a different partition comes up pretty quickly. I use that for my "tweaking" and test-bed aircraft. Once I have them where I want them I copy them into my flying directory. I do need to do some housekeeping one of these days and zip up the planes I don't regularly fly along with the AI planes that I don't have on routes. That alone should make things load a bit faster :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg