Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

Amount of interior detail

Guest jlwoodward

I am adding a lot of little parts to the VC- knobs, levers, etc. I am wondering if it is normal practice to leave these parts out of the main model, or would it not make that much difference in frame rates. If one were to open the doors and zoom in, the cockpit would not have all these pieces.A second question is how much detail is needed for an AI airplane. I am thinking about making a special version with no interior, no panel, and no sound. Just the model and textures. Does this work? I ask because I saw one of my planes being used in a scenery package and it was the complete plane, including the VC. It seems like a lot of baggage to carry around.I am using FSDS2.Thanks,John Woodward

Guest Stratobat

>I am adding a lot of little parts to the VC- knobs, levers,>etc. I am wondering if it is normal practice to leave these>parts out of the main model, or would it not make that much>difference in frame rates.Hi John,I'm not a 3D modeller (I mainly do textures), but the more you add to the VC, the more it will impact on the frame-rates. You can add knobs, levers and switches, but make them low poly. Instead of creating a sphere with say 12 segments (sides), make one with 6 or 8 segments :-)Regards,Stratobat

Guest OwenH FSD

Hi John,In my experience, it is best to leave out highly detailed switches, button, etc. in the external model, since you really won't be able to see them all that well externally. It's best to simulate these buttons, switches, etc. using textures in the external model, so the illusion is that they're still there, but will not have a hit on frame rates with a higher polygon count .mdl.Best of luck with your project(s)!Owen

Guest Karl R Pettersen

HiI agree with Owen here, but for slightly different reasons :) Use textures for small buttons and switches instead of 3D geometry. Microsofts use of 3D radio tuning knobs has made it impossible to replace those radios with something that looks and feels different; in 3D cockpit you're stuck with those nasty bad looking knobs sticking out of completely different radios - a no go.Power, gear and flap handles could be 3D as they are usually aircraft *type* specific, once they get aircraft type *model* specific, they should go texture instead.Another example, it's impossible to change the 172SP into an earlier model because VC gauge texture areas are increadibly locked.Think how many would probably like to tune the cockpit into their own liking. Think modding friendy :D Not sure what kind of aircraft you're working on though.