Sign in to follow this  
Guest FelixFFDS

GMAX

I've used boxes with multiple segments for the fuselages of a couple of GMax models. The Curtiss Jenny and other models I've seen have diagonals between segments which I don't have in my boxes.- how is this done?- what are the advantages?Regards

Whether you "see" the "diagonals" or not depends on whether you are creating E-Poly or E-Mesh. When the model is compiled, all polygons are automatically converted to triangles anyway.To better see what I'm speaking of, create a simple planar rectangle in GMax, then clone/move by Selecting the Move Tool, then holding the Shift key while you drag the rectangle to the right.Select your copy, right click and convert to E-Poly.Note that the original rectangle has four sides and a diagonal between two corners.The E-Poly version will only have four sides in the GMax Viewport.When compiled though, both rectangles will be identical, since the compiler will "insert" the missing diagonal edge for you.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I tried it but had to convert it to an Editable Patch to get the diagonals.What are the advantages of converting in aircraft modelling?

Guest FelixFFDS

>I tried it but had to convert it to an Editable Patch to get>the diagonals.>>What are the advantages of converting in aircraft modelling?In gmax, some tools are available in ePoly that are not available in eMesh. WHile the more experienced modeller may have developed techniques where the base object (box, cylinder, etc) is preserved (by the stacking of mesh select modifiers, etc), for the beginner (like your's truly) converting the object between eMesh and ePoly is (mentally) easier.