Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

Does anyone have a fuel dump gauge?

Hi all, I posted a message over at the FFDS forum and it was suggested that I check here for help. I'm modeling a glider in gmax that has 2 water ballast tanks in each wing along with 2 fuselage tanks. Basically depending on which 2 wing tanks are being dumped, one of the fuselage tanks will dump also so the CG stays in acceptable limits. The water dumps are controlled by 2 different knobs in the cockpit. I'm looking for the XML code that will allow me to name these parts in gmax so that when I export the .mdl file I can click on the knobs in the vc and have this start the "water dump" effect. I know nothing about XML programming and have on idea where to start,or even if it could be done.Thanks,Darrell

I've been working on an upgrade to mine. The first version is in the library here (dsd_fuel_dump.zip) It does not allow for control over which tanks are dumping fuel, but the new version will. PM or e-mail me and I will send you the new version, along with some instructions on how to make it work...Doug

See Darrell! I told you someone here would have what you're looking for... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Doug,If possible I am in for your gauge with transparant bitmaps.I made a quite considerable change in the look of my overhead.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Mathias

Doug, is that gauge dependent on FSIUPC or a real stand alone fuel dump gauge? Have been looking for that for years myself...Mathias

Oh it certainly uses FSUIPC. Don't think there is any other way to do it - at least not without a bunch of hacking that would be way over my head... My gauge has a freeware accreditation with FSUIPC built in, so it really shouldn't be an issue.Doug

:-lol Yes you did Bill! Thanks!I got the gauge Doug, haven't had time to try it yet, but it sounds like what I may be looking for!Thanks,Darrell

Just for the record... Doug's gauge works GREAT! (as does everything he puts out *grin*)

Doug,Another great yes from worlds happiest fueldumper!Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Jan,Glad you like it. I'll have a look at your suggestion this weekend. I don't think it will be that hard to implement.If all goes well, I will upload it Sunday evening...Doug

Btw.I get at startup a FSUIPC message, "not accredited", tough everything works ok{?)Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Mathias

Dough,do you by any chance have an XML gauge file as a sample for me to trigger your "invisible" fuel dump gauge?I can't seem to find one that just cycles L:vars as a template to start from. No need for bitmaps as I have my own switches...

Defining a click section that looks like this should do it:(L:dsd_fuel_dump_control, bool) ! (>L:dsd_fuel_dump_control, bool) Doug

Guest Mathias

Thanks Doug :-) Another satisfied tester can now chime into the common tune here:It works !!!!!The only thing I don't like about it is the reliance on FSUIPC. Somehow I always imagine that any C++ gauge should be able to do the same as FSUIPC does without having to rely on it. But I guess it is the know-how Peter Dowson has acquired over the years that most of us are lacking ... I only know of one case where a formerly FSUIPC-reliant gauge was turned into a stand-alone gauge, and that with something as increadible as a weather radar! But then again it was Alain Capt who managed to do that.I will never reach the format of a Pete Dowson or Alain Capt, I fear, though I won't give up trying to reach at least 10% of their programming expertise ;-) Thanks again Dough for helping me out!