Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Is it possible to copy FDE from a plane to another?

Hi:I just wanted to know if is possible to copy the FDE (which I undestand are the parameter of the .air file and Aircraft.cfg file) from a FDE anunced as realistic but made for Eric Cantu 737-200 to the 737-200 of the old but good Yeodesigns model, expecting it will behave as in Cantu's model?If it can be done, how can I do it, which things should I take in account to do that?Thanks a lot for your answers.Helio Alberto Regalado Moreira

Guest IanK

Hello Alberto,yes copy both the .air and .cfg and it will fly according to these but look like what the graphics files give you.If you have complex gauges and they only reference .air and .cfg you should be OK (I hope).Ian

Yes and no.Depending on the origin in the visual model, the contact points may be thrown off and the aircraft may end up sitting too low, too high, or even appear to rotate towards the nose or tail. One designer set their origin at the tail of the aicraft, although most set it close to the COG. The other thing that can be changed is the eyepoint for the same reason--it may be too far forward or too far back.freeflightdesign.com offers some tips on adjusting FDE's that may help for such a conversion.-John

I think John is correct, its fine to copy these files but remember that the aircraft cfg has the contact points which determine how it sits on the runway. This is model specific so what i do when copying aircraft cfg's is make sure to cut and paste the contact section for the model (cfg you are replacing) and paste it into the new one. That way your model will sit correctly. A lot of times I just copy the FDE or .air file and it works fine. Just rename the new .air file exactly like the one you are replacing. Hornit

Thanks for yours replys.When making the modification I left the sections:Contacts PointsLightsExitsTailhookFolding WingEven so, whit the rest of the FDE modifyed (.air completaly replaced and CFG only saved the parts mentioned), what result strange was that on the comparision both aircraft did not behave the same.On Erick 737 almost no trim was needed to set the aircraft on the air.On Yeodesigns 737 full trim was needed to set the aircraft on the air.Please help I dont realy now why

I would try replacing the FDE altogether, including the sections you saved from the Yeodesigns aircraft.cfg. The aircraft may appear to sit too low or too high, but it would make it easier to fix things if you start with the FDE for Erick's aircraft first, then adjust the contact points, etc.... if you need to.-John