Guest Matholomew

I recently updated makemdl to the fs9 version, but now whenever i go to export a model i get an error saying that MSXML4.DLL could not be loaded. I found this file, but where does it need to be at to work correctly? Are models compiled with the new version of makemdl still compatible with fs2002? i have some friends still using 2k2 and i want my planes to still work on their systems.

"Are models compiled with the new version of makemdl still compatible with fs2002? i have some friends still using 2k2 and i want my planes to still work on their systems."No--the new FS9 makemdl makes models which won't display in FS2002.As for the dll error, I believe Microsoft has a download available to correctly set up this dll on a system, but I would suggest using the old makemdl anyway if you want backward compatibility with FS2002. The new one is only required if you want some of the new features offered by FS2004's SDK.-John

Guest Matholomew

so, what features for FS9 will i lose by using the fs2k2 makemdl? odds are, i wont know (or care enough to lose backwards-compatibility) how to use them anyway. thanks for the help.

I use FSDS 2, so I can't list them all since FSDS 2 doesn't use them--but I believe many of the features are XML based. A good example of aircraft that have FS9 type features are the MD-8x/9x series created by Erick Cantu, which have wings which flex in response to G-Force (very cool feature to watch).POSky's new 767 is another example, which has control surfaces that droop when the engine is powered off. I have found that 90 pct. of the models compiled with the new version of makemdl don't make use of such features, but obviously don't work for a FS2002 user base that has stayed pretty steady over the past year.-John

Guest Matholomew

Nifty features, im sure, but I'll stick to what I know, for now...

>"Are models compiled with the new version of makemdl still>compatible with fs2002? i have some friends still using 2k2>and i want my planes to still work on their systems.">>No--the new FS9 makemdl makes models which won't display in>FS2002.Pardon me John, but that is not totally accurate...Models compiled with the new FS9 MakeMDL are completely compatible with FS2002... provided that you haven't included ANY XML features in the parts exported from your source file!For example, I compiled the FS2002 version of the Citation II by simply omitting the fancy "XML controlled stuff" from the compiled "FS2k2 model.Such "XML controlled stuff" being the "VC Rain Effect" for windows, custom "clickable controls," custom "animations," etc.I did not have to build a special model just for FS2k2 use... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up--I did qualify my post by saying I wasn't expert in GMAX. But it's funny--none of the default FS9 aircraft (such as the Mooney) seem to havw the XML components, yet they won't display in FS2002 unless converted with MDLC. -John

Guest Matholomew

spiffy! once i get my 2k2 plane done, I'll have to go back and try to add some of these XML features. I think that the default fs9 planes have some XML components. I noticed clickable controls on some. thanks for the help.

>Thanks for clearing that up--I did qualify my post by saying>I wasn't expert in GMAX. But it's funny--none of the default>FS9 aircraft (such as the Mooney) seem to havw the XML>components, yet they won't display in FS2002 unless converted>with MDLC. >>-JohnActually, the Mooney does have XML components. A quick and dirty way to discover which .mdl files do and which don't is to simply "Open" the .mdl file in Wordpad.exe and check for "XML stuff" in the DICT header:RIFF MDL8MDLH FS8 DICT 2 0 1 1 4 (A:FUEL TANK SELECTOR:1, enum) case 25... etc.I can't cut-n-paste the exact text from wordpad because of a lot of control characters, but you can "read between the chaff" to see the clearly identifiable XML code embedded... ;)It is also interesting to note that the Mooney's .mdl file is defined in the header as an "FS8" model...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator