Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

Default FS2004 Cessna Altimeter in mb

Guest stevejames53

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has produced a replacement gauge for the default FS2004 cessna 172 (or 182 or whichever other planes use it) that allows for a pressure to be set in millibars rather than inches mercury.I mostly fly in the UK and VATSIM whenever possible and all of the pressures are given in mb in the UK so I have to convert from mb to in hg.If there is another way or if this can be changed then I'm willing to learn. I'm not sure if UK registered cessnas have altimeters that read in hg (if any real life pilots out there know then please let me know!!)...Anyway, thanks for any responses...Steve

Guest Mathias

I recently did a Thommen 3A67 Altimeter for the upcoming FS9 version of my Dornier 128-6 which only has the mbar setting. Interested? It's in xml.

Have a look at the default de Havilland Comet altimeter, which is in millibars. Look in ...GaugesDeHavilland_Comet.cab. Winzip will extract the individual .xml and .bmp files so you can see how it's done.

Guest stevejames53

Thanks to Mathias and mgh for replying.I suppose I should come clean and say that I'm not a gauge designer and I don't understand how to do it. I was just wondering if anyone had designed one that I could 'borrow'!!Sorry to give the wrong impression, I just though that this would have been the best forum in which to ask.Thanks again, and if there is anyone out there that has done all the hard work and doesnt mind letting me have the finished gauge then I'd be grateful!! ;-) Cheers,Steve

Guest Mathias

Steve, check your email ;-)

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Tip to designers, how about a clickable scale that toggles between HPa and In.HG? The tooltip could be custom and display both. Should be easy enough to do, and would work in all cases.

Guest Mathias

Simple to do, but not very realisitc as far as the altimeters I know go. As ususal you can do things in FS much more efficiently and more conveniently than in real life, but if realism is the objective then the usual way to go is to have two separate scales for hPa and In HG.

Guest Karl R Pettersen

The problem I have with separate altimeters is this; when flying default FS9, you're pretty much forced to use american units, but when using the same airplane online you have to use whatever is normally used where you live.Another "bonus"; having both values readable in tooltip gives you a feel for the two scales over time. Same goes with farenheit vs celcius, or pounds vs kilograms, or gallons vs liters.I like to think of it as a passive learning tool.