Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

buggy electrical system...

Guest christian

I'm currently assembling some Cessna gauges, but I keep tripping over the bugs in the electrical system. What I'd like to have is:a) ammmeter showing battery charge/discharge:( voltage in the davtron timerc) voltage warningfor a) I use battery_load, which I believe is what most people use. Is there a better variable to use, or does one have to program a more complex gauge to get more a realistic behaviour?I can't get :( working properly. It would make sense to use main_bus_voltage, but this is 28V constant (even if generators switched off, when it should be the 24V from the battery). Is the way to do this then to use main_bus_voltage and battery_voltage depending on switch position?for c) warning_volts doesn't seem to work. Is a voltage < 28 the best thing to do?I'm interested in knowing what other people use and work around the issues. I think his would benefit a lot of people since this seems to be a common problem (yet, I haven't found many answers in previous posts).Cheers, Christian

Hi,No other solutions than yours.Also curious if other people use a different approach.It is possible to make a realistic electric system totally independant of the MSFS sytem like Matthias Lieberecht did in has BAE.Then you have to make a lot of custom (L:Var's)!Same is true for the other aircraft systems.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Karl R Pettersen

HiThe electrical system is increadibly bugged. I ended up always using Defaultload+Customload. However, building a complete custom electrical system is quite complex, and in the end might not even be worth it. Now, I ignore the bugs, and live with them, in order to use those FPS in other more important places.In my Davtron timer, I use (A:Electrical Battery Bus Voltage, volts) which will be reduced over time if alternators are not switched on. There are some older gauges out there that will force eternal power, even if you change back to an aircraft which doesn't use it. Haven't checked the voltage afterwards though.For load, I use (A:Electrical Genalt1 bus amps,amps) which will show positive numbers as battery is charged and negative while being drained.Currently unable to verify this, but I believe this is a gauge that works :)A cool trick is to "add the shakes" to such a needle, which varies in speed with alternator RPM. Also great on small GA fuel gauges.As for voltage warnings, aren't these *over*-voltage warnings usually in real life? These have no use in the sim, so instead I made one that warns if battery is a couple of volts higher than that required to start the engine - which is set in aircraft.cfg. Just check your illuminated lamp against the current battery voltage for a certain value and it should at least have some meaning in the sim.

Hi,Some testing in my elec sys:When alternators are off the MAIN BUS shows battery-, hot battery bus- and battery bus voltage = 24V (alternators on = 28V)In this situation battery amps shows a negative value.you can use;(A:ELECTRICAL BATTERY LOAD,amps) or (A:ELECTRICAL OLD CHARGING AMPS,amps)Alternators on line makes these values again positive.I must say, using all MSFS A:Var's and K:events and a lot of L:Var's, made it possible to simulate the B767-300 elec (and other) sys for almost 100% without any fps drop (still busy..!)Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Well, complex code might not give itself away as a drop in FPS, but rather cause blurry ground textures. My C421B had no problems with FPS, but I never arrived at my destination with sharp ground textures either :) Switching to default planes helped. Then again, that aircraft is probably the most advanced thing I've ever "programmed". Automatic engine and brake failure generation, complaining passengers if cabin was too cold, crazy simulation etc... Never again :D