Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jock in a Frock

Flight 1 Archer & Rob Barendregt's Taxispeed Gauge

Guest Jock in a Frock

Hi,I've put Rob Barendregt's Taxispeed gauge into the Flight 1 PA28 Archer. The problem is that the gauge does not control the throttle of the Archer properly, and does not provide enough thrust to move the plane at anything more that 1-2 kts.I know the gauge is good because I've used it in the default Cessna, the Baron, and several other planes.Has anyone else tried to use this gauge, and can the XML be tweaked to get it working with the Archer?

"" ...I know the gauge is good because ... ""Yes, it is :-)Are you sure that there are no brakes on, or the aircraft isn't on AP ?? Or some other device that controls throttle (and therefore conflicts with the Taxispeed gauge ??Because the gauge applies 70% throttle below 1 knot, and 40% (max) above 1 knot, which should be more than enough to get/keep any aircraft rolling.As far as i know at least :-)Cheers, Rob

Guest Jock in a Frock

Nope, neither the brakes or the AP are on. The throttle initially goes to about 70% then drops to about 1-2%, not enough to move the plane. This happens no matter what I set the taxispeed to, not even 40kts.I've tried picking apart the XML for your gauge, but (with my limited RPN & XML knowledge), everything looks like it should.I tried aliasing the default Cessna 172 panel (with your gauge added) into the Archer, but I get the same results, so I don't think it's a gauge in the Archer which is the problem. Maybe the .air file?I've posted this question over at the Flight 1 support forum (www.simforums.com), and I'll let you know what the outcome is (if any).I really like your gauge, and the Archer is my favourite plane, so I'd love to find a way to get them both working together.

" then drops to about 1-2%, not enough to move the plane"This can only mean, that the Archer (the model, NOT a panel gauge because the aliased Cessna panel gives the same problem) somehow manipulates the Thottles variables as well, which conflicts with my gauge.But this sounds very weird to me (it's the first time I ever heard something like this0, and I don't have a clue what the exact cause is. But since I don't own the Archer, I can't test it myself.Regards, RobEDIT:I just saw Lou Betti's response in the other forum.This Throttle animation (which is probably part of the .mdl file) may well be the problem; this probably also gives throttle events, which conflict with my gauge. Sorry, this cannot be solved.

Guest Jock in a Frock

Rob,Like you I suspect the problem lies outside the Archer's panel, and I suspected that something else in the Archer was the cause.As Lou suggested on the other forum, maybe I should just learn to taxi properly. :(Thanks for your help.

Guest Jock in a Frock

Update:After a Windows & FS2004 re-install, this gauge works as advertised. I guess something else installed was having an effect on the Groundhandling gauge. Strange that it only affected the Archer though....>I just saw Lou Betti's response in the other forum.>This Throttle animation (which is probably part of the .mdl>file) may well be the problem; this probably also gives>throttle events, which conflict with my gauge. I used an event logger gauge on the Archer, and there are no throttle events from the panel animation, so the source of my original problem remains a mystery. Anyway, its fixed now, so I can enjoy your great gauge in Flight1's great Archer. :)