Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

More XML Oddities...

Does anyone have a explanation why I cannot substitute an L: var for a G:Var???Why does this not work:(L:DataFields,bool) ! (>L:DataFields,bool)but this does:(G:Var3) ! (>G:Var3)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

(L:DataFields,bool) !(>L:DataFields,bool)I don't know how you come to the conclusion that this code doesn't work, because it does (I just copied/pasted/tested it).So the error is probably at the place in the code where you actually test the (L:DataFields,bool) variable.You didn't forget the ,bool there, did you :-) ????Cheers, Rob

Guest dko60202

As far as I know, the only differences between L: and G: vars are naming conventions and scope (oh, and no units for G:vars....)You don't have an L:DataFields in another gauge?Douglas

>(L:DataFields,bool) !>(>L:DataFields,bool)>>I don't know how you come to the conclusion that this code>doesn't work, because it does (I just copied/pasted/tested>it).>>So the error is probably at the place in the code where you>actually test the (L:DataFields,bool) variable.>You didn't forget the ,bool there, did you :-) ????I used the simplest approach possible: I tried it out! ;)No, I didn't forget the ,bool in the either...This is only of importance to me because the a/c will have two copies of this gauge running: one on the 2d panel and one in the VC. I think it would be nice if turning either one of them on would at least turn on the other simultaneously... ;)There are FAR too many variables used to 'synchronize' all of 'em, but at least this one basic should be achievable! ;)

Fr. Bill    

>As far as I know, the only differences between L: and G: vars>are naming conventions and scope (oh, and no units for>G:vars....)>>You don't have an L:DataFields in another gauge?Nope. There's only two XML gauges in the entire package, and the other one is a simple N-Number plaquard. ;)

Fr. Bill    

Bill,As far as I know an XML gauge is only loaded once, not matter in how many windows (2D or VC) the gauge is defined.Which means that (in your case) if you change a var in the VC definition, the var in the 2D window changes too (because it's the same memory).Now, I know for sure this work for G:Vars, because I use this myself.However, I have never tried this for L:Vars, but I cannot imagine that this works differently.Rob

Guest Karl R Pettersen

HiWell, it *should* work, and by looking at your earlier xml gauges, I know you know it should work too. Why it doesn't is beyond me. I would also suspect the checking to be wrong, the part where you select graphics based on the L:Var.Have you tried commenting out all the other .gau gauges, to check if some are causing weird problems?I now swear to using L:Var instead of G:Var. I also used G:Vars a lot in the past but they caused many updating bugs when the same gauge was present on two panels, or both on 2D and VC panels. Changing it for a L:Var always did the trick for me.

>I now swear to using L:Var instead of G:Var. I also used>G:Vars a lot in the past but they caused many updating bugs>when the same gauge was present on two panels, or both on 2D>and VC panels. Changing it for a L:Var always did the trick>for me. As it turns out, the reason for the L:var not working had nothing to do with the L:var per se, but rather the monitored variable I used to trigger it...This gauge relies a LOT on @macro calls, and I forgot to include the @ as a prefix for the @g:variable... ;)

Fr. Bill    

>Bill,>>As far as I know an XML gauge is only loaded once, not matter>in how many windows (2D or VC) the gauge is defined.>Which means that (in your case) if you change a var in the VC>definition, the var in the 2D window changes too (because it's>the same memory).Actually, that is not always true. If your gauge uses @macro calls, and/or CustomDraw routines, then it appears that TWO copies are loaded and initialized.The 2d and 3d instances of the same gauge do NOT remain in synch...

Fr. Bill