Sign in to follow this  
Guest mucksmear

Gmax gear animations not working

There's no such partname as "aux_gear..."Name your "outboard gear" using some variation on the l_tire and r_tire names, such as:l_tire_still_outboardl_tire_blurred_outboardr_tire_still_outboardr_tire_blurred_outboardALL of the valid partnames are in the SDK for your reference. You can't simply "make up" your own partnames. Well, you CAN, but as you've seen by now, they won't WORK! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I will try renaming the tires this evening, thanks!>I doesn't explain why c_tire and l_tire function correctly>however.Those ARE valid names, albeit the "old names" kept for backward compatibility.l_tire &l_tire_stillare equivalent... both are "Visible and rotating when the left tire's rotational speed (in rpm) is very slow."

Fr. Bill    

Guest mucksmear

that's what I thought.Anyways, still haveing trouble on this one.Cant get the tires on the right gear or the rear centerline (aux) gear to spin. My object hierarchy is identical to a sample Gmax model I downloaded. The downloaded model works... So my guess is it's something other than my hierarchy or naming conventions. There's not much else to see that's different.I made the right gear, then cloned and mirrored it to create the left gear.-E

Guest mucksmear

I'm still banging my head with this 4 gear system:-steerable nose gear-non-steerable rear-centerline main gear (well aft of CG)-left outrigger gear-right outrigger gear.Thus far, in order to get the nose wheel to steer, and the nose and outrigger tires to spin (still can't get the rear-centerline tires to spin), and all the gear to retract, I've had to do the following crazy thing:1)Nosewheel/gear set up normally (I think) as "c_gear, c_tire_still, etc".2)Both left and right outriggers are actually listed as a single left gear (l_gear, l_tire_still, etc etc.) since they retract forwards instead of inwards/outwards, they can have a common retraction pivot point for "l_gear".3)Rear-centerline gear is called "aux_gear, aux_tire_still, etc"Here's a few more questions/comments:A) Is "aux_gear" supposed to be an auxiliary gear component within either the left,right, or center gear hierarchies (l_gear, r_gear, c_gear)?Or, can aux_gear be part of its own hierarchy (complete with aux_wheelwell, aux_tire, etc etc?:( Is there a critical relationship between the wheel-type contact points in the aircraft.cfg file, and the hierarchy/part names in the gmax model? If so, what?C) I though I read somewhere that aux_gear is used in 4 gear system where you have 2 steerable nose gear and 2 non-steerable main gear (like a car), which is not what I am trying to do.-E

Guest Firestriker

I think I'd forget about using the aux_gear name, and there is only one name according to the SDK. Used for aircraft like the Caravan 208 for the right front gear. So there is no aux_wheelwell etc.After looking at an old B47 mesh I have, I think would set it up something like this to start off with:

fuselage	 c_wheelwell_front		  c_gear_strut_cylinder1  (front gearset key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)			   c_wheel (key frame animated clockwise around Z axis 0-360 degrees for caster steering frames 100-200)					c_gear_strut_piston1 (animated for ground reaction frames 101-200)						 c_tire_still_1						 c_tire_blurred_1						 c_tire_still_2						 c_tire_blurred_2		c_gear_door1b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100) 		c_gear_door2b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 c_gear_door1a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 c_gear_door2a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 c_wheelwell_rear		  c_gear_strut_cylinder2 (rear gearset key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)			   c_gear_piston2 (animated for ground reaction frames 101-200) 					c_tire_still_3					c_tire_blurred_3					c_tire_still_4					c_tire_blurred_4		  c_gear_door3b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100) 		  c_gear_door4b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 c_gear_door3a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 c_gear_door4a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 l_wing		  e2 (left inboard engine)			   l_wheelwell					l_gear_cylinder (key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)						 l_gear_piston (key frame animated for ground reaction frames 101-200)							  l_tire_still_1							  l_tire_blurred_1							  l_tire_still_2							  l_tire_blurred_2			   l_gear_door1b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)			   l_gear_door2b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)		  l_gear_door1a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)		  l_gear_door2a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)	 r_wing		  e3 (right inboard engine )			   r_wheelwell					r_gear_cylinder (key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)						 r_gear_piston (key frame animated for ground reaction frames 101-200)							  r_tire_still_1 							  r_tire_blurred_1 							  r_tire_still_2							  r_tire_blurred_2			   r_gear_door1b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)			   r_gear_door2b (door interior detail key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)		  r_gear_door1a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)		  r_gear_door2a (door exterior key frame animated for extension/retraction frames 0-100)

Lou

>There's no such partname as "aux_gear..."NOTE: correction to the above...While there IS indeed an "aux_gear" partname, any TIRES attached must be named using either the c_tire, l_tire or r_tire variations...There is no such thing as "aux_tire!" ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest mucksmear

Thanks Bill and Lou,I was beginning to suspect that aux_tire, etc did not exist.I'll also try out your B47's hierarchy and see if it will work, if not, then there's probably something else that I'm tripping up on.-E