Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

Turboprob looses power at altitude

I'm having problems maintaining tourque on my latest project. the tourque falls off pretty quickly above 14,000 feet. the airfile is based on the king air and I've done everything I can think of to the cfg but nothing helps except increasing the power scalar and prop thrust scalar but then it has way too much power on the ground. Need some help here.Brian

Guest Mathias

Well, as far as my favourite birdy (Dornier 128-6 with flat-rated P&W Canada PT6A-110 turboprops) goes your solution sounds about right if the engine is flat-rated.With the 128-6 at sea level you should not move the power levers more than about 55% forward so as not to overtorque the gearboxes.The higher the plane goes the farther the power levers can pushed forward, always maintaing yellow line prop torque, until the power levers are at 100% when at some 25000 feet. Above that torque and thus power begins to decrease.For the flightsim version this means maximum_torque = 1540lbs ft in the aircraft.cfg for my engine that is certified with 1246 lbs ft red line torque which works out to be around 450 SHP at 1900 max prop rpm and 1108 lbs ft for around 400 SHP maximum continuous or yellow line power.I have found it best to only change the maximum_torque value in the aircraft.cfg and not fiddle with the scalers.What type of plane is it that you are working on, and can you determine if it has a flat-rated engine?Oh, and about this:Definition of a complex airplane: landing a taildragger on pavement with a 20 knot quartering crosswindMy Dornier is probably a complex aircraft then, it just now qualified by fulfilling your definition :-)