Sign in to follow this  
nickpike

New XML gauge Tutorial

I've posted the first of our XML gauge tutorials on our site in the Tutorials page (surprise, surprise :()This first one is for beginners, so the more experienced will not find it useful.We plan to add further tutorials on a regular basis. XML programming involves a lot of knowledge, and I cannot hope to cover all aspects with one tutorial, so I am breaking down into many parts.I hope you find it useful.I'd appreciate some feedback either here or on our forum. I'd like to tune the writing and explanation style according to comments I receive.nick

Hi Nick,A very usefull tutorial indeed !!Well setup and presented... And I know how difficult it must be "how to get started" with such a manual without trying to explain everything at the same time :-)Two corrections if I may:1. the "leading-zero" stringformat unfortunately doesn't work properly for negative numbers.Eg. displaying the value -5 with !04d! displays as "00-5"2. The UpdateFrequency is a little more complex then you specified.Don't ask me why, I just established this experimentally a while ago.No line, or UpdateFreq. 0: schedule rate = 18* per sec."1: 1* per sec.2: 2* per sec.3: 3* per sec.4: 4.5* per sec.5 and 6: 6* per sec.7,8 and 9: 9* per sec.Allthough I can see some logic in the set 1,2,3,4.5,6,9,18.Another thing to realise is that the gauge schedule rate is limited by the line "update_rate= " in a [window] section of the panel.cfg, which limits the schedule rate of all gauges in that window.However, "update_rate=6" in the panel.cfg means: max. 3* per sec. Go figure :-) Regards, Rob Barendregt

Nicely done, Nick! Just enough of that dry British humour to keep it interesting. ;)Bill

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest dirk1000

Hi Nick,First at all I must say thanks very much Nick for this, a so long awaited tutorial.I

Guest Skymed

NickExcellent stuff, very informative and thanks for the hard work.Steve

Thank you for the ecouraging comments. I'm working on a second right now, and my website partner is joining in soon with some more, so over a period of time we hope to build up a comprehensive library on XML gauges.Thanks again,nick

Guest fatcharlie

Hi Nick,thanks for all the effort you've put into the tutorials and information about XML gauges. Without it I'd be stuck!As it is, I'm stuck anyway...I have two basic issues with an XML compass I'm building:1) I'm using the A:Wiskey Compass Indication Degrees source for the position instructins for my bitmap - but it goes the wrong way! How do I reverse the rotation?2) The compass resides inside a perspex sphere, and I'd like to represent this by adding a final .bmp over the top of the gauge which is translucent - is that possible with XML gauges? Variable opacity?Finally, apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum - it's the only one I could fins which was close.Please feel free to move the thread if necessary.Thanks,Roger Harris.

1) I'm using the A:Wiskey Compass Indication Degrees source for the position instructins for my bitmap - but it goes the wrong way! How do I reverse the rotation?
Invert your non-linearity table to reverse the movement.Alpha blending is the technique. Search for those terms here or at my Panel and Gauge forum at flightsim.com for examples.

Fr. Bill    

Hi Nick,where can I find the tutorial? You mentioned your site but I do not find a link.Erich

Hi Nick,where can I find the tutorial? You mentioned your site but I do not find a link.Erich
http://www.fs2x.com/Tutorials.htm

Fr. Bill