Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mirage

HUD

Guest Bassy

Hi All,This is my HUD for the F-16.A lot of work with a lot of help from guys on this forum.But still, I am stuck with the ladder, I cannot get it working withoutbitmaps. One said to keep on trying but after a few months I am goingto give up.Tell me what you think of my HUD...Greetings,Bassy

Hi,Not in the military, but I use the HUD (imitation of the Rockwell-Collins HGS) in my 767.No single bitmap in use, only the HGS frame.Just let the lines, polygons and text move.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Bassy, thanks for sharing your HUD - it looks very good.As Jan was saying, you can just use text for your pitch ladder. Since there are so many "rungs", it may not be practical to use polys. %90|----------- -----------|90n%85|----------- -----------|85n%80|----------- -----------|80n...%5|----------- -----------|5n|------------------- ------------------|n%5|-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --|5n%10|-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --|10n...(A:Attitude indicator bank degrees:1,radians) s0(A:Attitude indicator pitch degrees, degrees) /-/Just set the linespacing to whatever you want and calibrate the shift to the number of pixels per unit.--Jon

Guest Bassy

Thanks Jon,I tried that and changed somethings but the results are the same.Mind me, the pitch ladder works with Jetliners or helicopters but when you fly military jets and perform a looping..., all weird things happen to the ladder; e.g. when you go over the top you see the ladder going up instead of going down (it has to scroll down the whole looping). Furthermore the ladder turns around with the HUD in a roll where it should stay parrallel with the earths' surface.Difficult to explain but here is the code so you can see what I mean.If you want I can mail it to you. % 90|----------- -----------|90n% 85|----------- -----------|85n% 80|----------- -----------|80n% 75|----------- -----------|75n% 70|----------- -----------|70n% 65|----------- -----------|65n% 60|----------- -----------|60n% 55|----------- -----------|55n% 50|----------- -----------|50n% 45|----------- -----------|45n% 40|----------- -----------|40n% 35|----------- -----------|35n% 30|----------- -----------|30n% 25|----------- -----------|25n% 20|----------- -----------|20n% 15|----------- -----------|15n% 10|----------- -----------|10n% 5|----------- -----------|5n% |------------- -------------|n% -5|-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --|-5n% -10|-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --|-10n% -15|----------- -----------|-15n% -20|----------- -----------|-20n% -25|----------- -----------|-25n% -30|----------- -----------|-30n% -35|----------- -----------|-35n% -40|----------- -----------|-40n% -45|----------- -----------|-45n% -50|----------- -----------|-50n% -55|----------- -----------|-55n% -60|----------- -----------|-60n% -65|----------- -----------|-65n% -70|----------- -----------|-70n% -75|----------- -----------|-75n% -80|----------- -----------|-80n% -85|----------- -----------|-85n% -90|----------- -----------|-90n(A:Attitude indicator pitch degrees, degrees) /-/(A:Attitude indicator bank degrees:1,radians)s0Jon or anyone, thanks for reviewing this,Bassy

Hi,May be this works better (i use it that way, but not for a fighter jet; i use only -10 -> +20 )Should work in rolls and loopings.First line (90), mind the axis, or position!(A:Attitude indicator bankdegrees,radians)Second line()85, mind the axis, or position!(A:Attitude indicator bankdegrees,radians)...................Last line(-90), mind the axis, or position!(A:Attitude indicator bankdegrees,radians)(A:Attitude indicator pitch degrees, degrees) /-/Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Bassy, I just wanted to show you a 'pseudo' method that would get the ball rolling with a text based system. I did not actually try to use it verbatim.What should happen is the ladder will rotate 180 degrees as you go "over the top" past the zenith, and do the same past the nadir. That's what you want to happen.I have my own ladder code, but it's broken into 4 sections (5 to 45, 50 to 90, HORIZON, -5 to -45, -50 to-90) The only reason I break it into 4 parts is to avert problems with text blocks over a certain number of pixels long (causes weird display problems). The horizon line is a poly, so it's a separate element as well.Each section, or text block, is rotated independently with the AXIS being the optical center of the HUD. So for the first text block starting from the 90 degree mark (50-90 degrees), the axis would be something like Y=1500. The next text block (5-45 degrees), would be axis Y=750.All 5 elements are rotated independently and are made sub-elements of the pitch. A single shift element pitches all the rotation children elements.I see Jan is using a similar approach, with separate rotations.--Jon

Guest Bassy

Hi, Jan and Jon,I tried it last night, another 5 hours on the job ;o)1 line is OK, not good but I got it working perfect with the "Pivot" command. When I add a second line it behaves OK in a looping but not in a roll, the two lines turn around itself. I'll try again this evening and let you know ASAP.Thanks for putting me on the job again, I really abbandend the project...Greetings,Bassy

Guest Bassy

YIPEEEEEE,At last, after nearly six months I (We) did it. A perfect HUD Pitch Ladder without bitmaps, it looks awesome.Thanks Jan and Jon, if I meet you guys I'll pay you a dozen beers...Cheers,Bassy

Guest Bassy

Hi all, Jan, Jon,Here are two screenies...HUD01 is in a flatspin on the back. HUD02 in normal flight, slight left bank leveling off at 2000ft.Andy, do you like the Flight Path Vector? Notice that it is off the HUD in the spin...Greetings,Happy Bassy, ;o)

Guest Mirage

I'm watching your progress of work guys and I'm astounded :-) I love modern HUDs and MFDs and your work is excellent! I have no doubt your work will add a new dimension within MSFS! Keep up your excellent job,Andysignature.jpg