Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

VC Interior sitting on the ground

Guest Firestriker

ShadIn gMax with the model loaded, open the the Material Editor and Material Browser. Select one of the materials in the Material Browser that has a bitmap with the _t.bmp extension. In the Material Editor, under the Maps section, left click over the Diffuse map button and drag to the Specular Color button just below it. When prompted, select Instance. Repeat for the other materials that have the _t.bmp extension. This replaces the checking "HasReflectMap" in makemdl. Then re-export. That should fix that.Lou

>Perhaps sombody could point me to the method to view and and>determine which are top level nodes? Also, given this gmax>source is pre-grouped, with no little boxes or helpers that I>can determine, what am I supposed to make?>>A normal box (standard primitive)?>A point helper box?>A Dummy of some sort?Just for the sake of completeness, I'll answer your specific question...Even though for the "exterior" and "interior" nodes you can use either a small box (geometry) OR a "dummy helper" (no geometry), because animation is lost during export for any parts that are linked to "animation control nodes," I find it much simpler to use only tiny boxes.Create a small cube using the keyboard method from the rollout that is .001" x .001" x .001". Name it "exterior." Because you used the "keyboard entry" method, it will automatically be created at the 0,0,0 coordinates... ;)Simply clone the "exterior" box and name it "interior."You may clone either of them as often as needed for any "control nodes" you may wish to use.As Lou mentioned, with the parts list visible, simply tick off the box in the lower left corner to display the list in hierarchical order... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest iholrf

Thank you Bill :), sometimes the smallest piece is what is needed to continue on with the puzzle. (Try doing a search for nodes in the gmax help system and you will begin to see my difficulty).Lou, I will try your texture fix now. I am glad I am approaching the point I want to be, which is beginning to learn how to texture the VC panel and make some nice backlit gauges of high quality to place in it (I will be reading your howto again for the fifth or sixth time, Bill).I figure that even this is an unorthodox way of going about learning things, but, being a deconstructionist by nature, I suspect what I am learning will be invaluable for proper planning of a "from scratch" model, as I will be aware of those considerations that I would likely have learned about only after it was to late, and, well, that would have sucked heheh. :)Meanwhile, I am having fun flying the bare bird even with out gauges.I owe you guys big time.ThanksShad