Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

Rain Parameter

Guest Tomcattwo

Howdy all!Is there a parameter or a flag that one can pull from MSFS that indicates that the sim thinks it's raining or snowing? Something must tell MSFS that it needs to turn on/off the Rain Effect on the Winshield so I'm guessing there is a flag or parameter someplace to tell the sim to do that. I'm trying to pass that on in a gauge such that something occurs when it's actually raining or snowing and does not occur when it isn't actually raining or snowing. I looked through all the params, tokens, events, units, commands etc. from the SDK and came up empty.Any help would be appreciated.R/TC2

HimaybeWINDSHIELD RAIN EFFECT AVAILABLEAMBIENT PRECIP STATEYou could also have a look at http://www.fs2x.com/ in the TUT section they have a listing of all the 2004 VarscheersWozza

Guest Tomcattwo

Thanks, Wozza! That sounds right (Ambient Precip State) and I'll check it out this evening. I missed that one in Arne's list, but the param does in fact show up in the environmental section of the SDK listing of params.Regards,TC2

Hi Wozza, thanks for the advert :()%((A:RADIO HEIGHT, feet) 30 < if{ (A:SURFACE CONDITION, enum) } els{ 24 } )%{case}%{:0}DRY %{:1}WET %{:2}ICY %{:3}SNOW%{:24} %{end}A line from one of my gauges. It shows the enum of surface conditions,that is,0 is dry1 is wet2 is icy3 is snownick

AMBIENT PRECIP is what is used in the model's XML code to trigger the rain/snow effects on the windshield.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Tomcattwo

Bill is correct, as was Wozza - thanks fellas. I successfully used AMBIENT PRECIP STATE in my application. The result is a bitwise representation of precipitation. Those I've found:Clear (no precip) = 00000010 = 2Rain = 00000100 = 4Snow = 00001000 = 8I used the call (A:AMBIENT PRECIP STATE,number) and was able to use the result to do what I needed.Thanks all, for your replies.R/TC2

No problem... I've used AMBIENT PRECIP STATE for any number of things for which MS probably never imagined... ;)Like, having your line people don rain slickers when raining, and parkas when snowing? ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

HiNP Nick ;) though opening the XML box was a big mistake on my behalf :DThis little discussion got me thinking it may be fun to apply an effect so when it rains the wheels throw up spray should be doable :)CheersWozza

Hmm that was easier than I thought,but its only good for tail draggers a tri gear would need 2 unused light circuits :)Wozza(A:AMBIENT PRECIP STATE,number) 4 == (A:RIGHT WHEEL RPM,rpm) 80 > && if{ (A:Light Cabin,number) 1 < if{ (>K:TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS) } } els{ (A:Light Cabin,number) 0 > if{ (>K:TOGGLE_CABIN_LIGHTS) } }

Hi Wozza, all my freeware and payware throw up spray with rain or snow. Chance of a quick plug, I've attached a pic of the F-117A showing where I've added the spray effect so that you see it from the wheels, but there is also a spray pattern following along for some distance down the runway. I thought it looked more realistic this way.To switch on the effect I always use (A:SURFACE CONDITION, enum).Others are promoting (A:AMBIENT PRECIP STATE,number). Are there advantages using the latter, as they both appear to produce the same thing, although I have never used AMBIENT PRECIP STATE?nick

Looks better than mine :) hate effects just as much as xml lol CheersWozza

Hi,I know only a few of the surf. cond, enums like:0=DRY, 1=WET, 2=ICY and 3=SNOWWhat are the others if there are any?Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Hi Jan, I think that's the full list,Did you mean surface type? There's a lot of these.nick

Nick,Just the conditions, i am aware of the 25 types.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"