Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

Turboprop SHP and Torque

I'm looking for information on how to correlate Turboprop Shaft Horsepower and Maximum Torque. The FS2004 Flight model shows no entry for Shaft Horsepower, only maximum torque. Torque ratings are never specified by either the aircraft or engine manufacurer.Any assistance appreciated.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Guest Mathias

In SI-Units (pi = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 :) ; Power P in kW; Torque (Moment) M in Nm, propeller RPM) the formula for power is the following:P = pi * M * RPM / (30 * 1000)The conversion factors:Torque:1 lbs ft = 1.35582 Nm1 Nm = 0.737561 lbs ftPower:1 kW = 1.341022 HP1 HP = 0.7456999 kWNow do your math to get the torque :)I went through the same ritual for my upcoming Dornier 128-6 ...

Guest Mathias

You're very welcome! Being a mechanical engineer I should know that stuff by heart, but they say a good engineer doesn't have to know everything, but has to know where to look for it :)