Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Maule M7-260 and editing FS 2004 *.air files

Guest Basil

After a long layoff from flight simulation, I'm back at it, flying the wonderful Maule M7-260. Raves notwithstanding, the aircraft seems a bit underpowered to me. I just completed a 1 1/2 flight with most of the flight at 10000' on AP, and maxed out never got much above 120 kts IAS. At 75% power I should be doing more like 140 kts, I should think.So I scrounge around for a .cfg editor, and nothing newer than the old aired seems to be available (free anyway), and using it to nose around in the maule.cfg file I find the HP set at 235, not 260. So I'm going to tinker with that, and see what happens.Any better editors available (free, since I won't do this often enough to justify spending $$$ on it)?What other fde parameters should I "tweak", if any, to get better performance. Drag coefficients, perhaps? I used to tinker with this stuff quite a bit, but it has been a looong time ago now, and I'm not looking to become a guru at it, just tinker a bit.Basil

Guest Douglas K

>>>>What other fde parameters should I "tweak", if any, to get better performance. Drag coefficients, perhaps? I used to tinker with this stuff quite a bit, but it has been a looong time ago now, and I'm not looking to become a guru at it, just tinker a bit.<<<

Guest Basil

I had forgotten all about the scalars in the aircraft.cfg file! (I said I'd been out of the loop for a while.) That is probably all I need to get the performance I'm looking for.As for TAS vs. IAS, I was indeed misreading the performance specs. It was confusing enough that Maule cites their performance specs in MPH. Now if I could only find a performance chart or power setting table so I could fly by watching the tach and manifold pressure. (Apparently, they do not even publish one in the real pilot's guide or manual.Thanks for the links. Great stuff to get me going!Basil

Guest Douglas K

>>>>Now if I could only find a performance chart or power setting table so I could fly by watching the tach and manifold pressure. (Apparently, they do not even publish one in the real pilot's guide or manual.<<<