Sign in to follow this  

Guest darrenecm

Calling all gauge-coding jockeys.Is anyone out there in Gauge Guru land familiar with the capabilities of the Netpipes method for accessing Flight Simulator data?As is the case with much of the Flight Simulator so-called SDK documentation, you're left with more questions than answers. The Netpipes SDK seems to restrict itself purely to the Flight Simulator Recorder sample and fails to fully list exactly what data from the Flight Simulator engine can be accessed. All the introduction says is "The full data stream into Flight Simulator available via Netpipes is described in the Flight Simulator 2004 Panels SDK".Now there is absoluetly no mention of Netpipes in the Panel SDK so one can only assume that this statement refers to the entire list of Token Variables? Can anyone confirm that Netpipes can indeed access all these variables? What other data in the Panel SDK would be available? I'd rather not go through the process of trial and error to answer this question, which should be in the Netpipes SDK, only to find that Netpipes is actually restricted in what variables it can read from the Panel SDK.I'm basically trying to come up with a way to get DirectX working to draw inside a Flight Simulator gauge as an alternative to using GDI/GDI+. Using the Netpipes technique to interrogate the Flight Simulator engine would simplify my current ideas for achieving this.Many thanks- Darren

Guest darrenecm

After much scouring of the Internet for an adequate amount of information so very lacking in Microsoft's 'so-called' SDK for Netpipes (what a misnomer that is), I managed to find a report at a University website.A computer simulation department tried to work with Netpipes to create a two-computer setup with the aim of one computer controlling the Flight Simulator on the other. It seems their attempts at using Netpipes failed miserably thanks to the pitifully limited data set that Netpipes can read from the flight simulator engine.No wonder FSUIPC is so popular.Hopefully Microsoft will provide a much more useful and, we can but pray, clearly documented SDK in FS2005. And please throw away that pre-processor madness in the Panels SDK for the love of God. Did object-oriented programming not exist during FS2004 development or something ;)- Darren

Exactly what I noted over my home lan. The iteration rate is too slow to control anything.W. Sieffert