Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

Gear in transit light

Guest bones

Has anyone coded a gauge to illuminate a gear in transit light? I looking at this and was going to try A:GEAR TOTAL PCT EXTENDED call using >1 and <100 (as the light remains on until ALL wheels are up or down). Is there a better way or am I on the right track?

That's the way I do it... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest bones

Thanks Bill. It works in that the light briefly flashes so I guess I haven't quite got to grips with the RPN coding. Back to the tutorial! :)

The problem is that the variable changes from 0 to 100 too quickly to use it directly for your light.Instead, use the "change of state" to trigger a custom timer circuit, which in turn will display your light.Alternatively, you might wish to try GEAR ANIMATION POSITION instead. I program almost exclusively in C these days, but still remember a bit of my XML... ;)Actually, in looking at my source code for the TB20GT, I see now I used a different technique (which DOES work!): (A:Gear center position,percent) near 100 ==

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest bones

Hi Bill,I understand your code - it's almost identical to the code I have for the three green lights. However, the Aztec has a four light indicator gauge - three green lights which only light when each leg is down and locked and a separate orange light which is lit when gear is in motion. With gear up all lights are out.I guess I could use the Gear Centre Position call instead - I was just trying to be clever and have the orange light showing during the period of all gear motion. ;-)RPN is like mental torture to me..

Guest Robert Sanderson

Bill, you HAVE to spend more time in the sim! LOLHi Bones,From the default Baron-(A:gear left position,percent) d (G:Var1) - r (>G:Var1) 0 != 4 * (G:Var2) max -- 0 max d (>G:Var2) 0 !=Check out how the MS Baron gear indicators work, should be OK for your Aztec. The file names are "Gear In Transition Light", and "Gear Lights"."RPN is like mental torture to me.."You're not alone, it sometimes twists my brain into a knot too!Robert

Guest bones

Robert,Great minds think alike!Puzzled that the gear lights file for the Baron didn't include the transit bitmaps I looked again and spotted the Gear in Transit XML file. I pasted the appropriate part into my XML file (because the Aztec lights sit over a gauge bitmap and not just on the panel like the Baron - and it worked perfectly!Next is the Aztec flap indicator which will be interesting as it is a circular dial and not the bar type like the Cessna. Then will come the Collins radio stack.Here's a shot of the panel as I hope it will look when finished.

Guest Robert Sanderson

Man, that

Guest bones

I like the Aztec. It's a nice, gentle, rugged aircraft with a good carrying capacity. Ours has the long range tanks giving almost 6.5 hrs flying time - 669litres at 100lph.Flap gauge worked perfectly first time but now I am trying to be clever with the flap switch and see if I can get it to self center after each flap selection (or is that the gear I'm thinking of?). Picture of the working gear and flap gauges attached.When finished I will upload the Aztec switches and dials in one CAB file but I'll upload the Collins avionics as a separate CAB as this could be useful for other aircraft.Another question if I may. I am using the following code for the De-Ice Switch(A:General eng1 anti ice position,bool)The switch works in that it activates the DeIce (the tooltip shows on and off states) but the On bitmap doesn't trigger. Anyone know why?

Hi,Try:(A:General eng anti ice position,bool) (Not eng1)Otherwise use:(A:STRUCTURAL DEICE SWITCH,bool)and(>K:TOGGLE_STRUCTURAL_DEICE) in case if you don't want to use the engine anti-ice.Sometimes you need an alteration in the airfile to use structural deice!Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Robert Sanderson

Bones,That variable (A:General eng1 anti ice position,bool) doesn

Guest bones

There is some subtle terminology here so I think I'd better be careful.We have a choice of engine, structural and prop de-icing. Prop deicing is obvious, structural deice is, I presume, the boots or leading edge heating system. Engine deice is what? Is it another name for carb heat?In looking at the panel again I realise that engine anti ice is not the right thing. In fact I'll have to add a further switch because the panel has three switches as shown in the photo below - I'd missed one.What I should be using is prop and structural deicing..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/121583.jpgMany thanks for the help Robert and Jan..

Guest bones

Just a quick note to say Surface and Prop DeIce are working perfectly.Now to find why the gear lever bitmap has disappeared. :)

Guest Mathias

Engine de-ice may be what especially in a reverse-flow turboprop engine like Pratt & Whittney Canada's PT6A is called "inertial separator". Engine combustion air enters the engine nacelle from the front and is channeled to the rear of the engine where it is forced to do a 180

Guest bones

Thank you Mathias - that explanation helps.The Collins kit in the King Air escaped my attention so thanks for pointing it out. That will give me two less boxes to do (COM1 and NAV1) but I'll still need to make the DME, KX170b, Audio and ADF boxes - and probably the XPDR as well. I already have pix taken directly from the aircraft and will write the code when I come to doing these.At the moment I'm still working out slight bugs in three of the gauges I've made - flap lever, autopilot and magnetos. None are serious but I'd like to get them right before moving on.