Sign in to follow this  
MKaprocki

Fuel selector Both i.s.o. L/R for FFS RV-7

The reality of using auxiliary fuel tanks in an RV7(A) is this:You can use auxiliary wing tip tanks (or modified rib bay tanks) that feed by gravity into their respective main wing tanks.Then there is the option of a baggage area or right seat tank, that feeds to a 3rd auxiliary port on a fuel selector valve, which can be ordered for the real RV's. But never the less, you'll be doing "fuel management" for fore & aft CG, and left to right balance; but you cannot have a "both" selector to pull fuel from both sides at once, such as a high wing Cessna. With the wing fuel tanks & fuel selector valve below the fuel intake on the engine, whether carb or fuel injected, fuel will simply move from one tank to the other, even to the point of being forced out the fuel vents with full tanks.Considering this "real life" situation, I don't see why Flight Factory Simulations should do any modifications in the first place. L.Adamson

Guest Biggles71

Mr Adamson,Thanks very much for your comprehensive explanation... The only reason I wanted the BOTH position, is to do some Max range tests, without having to get up very hour to change the fuel selector...I realize very well, that "real life" is different...Yes, I'm a real life pilot, ATPL +8000hrs (A330-340 Captain) and yes I've done real life non-stop flights of more than 11hrs in single engine aircraft...Thanks.BigglesFlying was my first love and it will be my last one!

>The only reason I wanted the BOTH position, is to do some Max>range tests, without having to get up very hour to change the>fuel selector...That's what I was wondering.... :D With 2000+ miles of FS2004 ocean, it's not the most exciting thing to fly in life.>>>Yes, I'm a real life pilot, ATPL +8000hrs (A330-340 Captain)>and yes I've done real life non-stop flights of more than>11hrs in single engine aircraft...>Of course you never know..... Since I've been around RV's for 15 years or so, I've met many builder/pilots who have been long time commercial airline pilots. Some know a wealth of information regarding homebuilt/experimental airplanes, and others know very little about the mechanics of the subject. But then you won't see me flying a commercial passenger jet either! ;-) L.Adamson

Guest Biggles71

That's fair enough...BTW, I've built a COZY3 some years ago, have sold it and I'm now seriously considering building an RV-7.Brgds,BigglesFlying was my first love and it will be my last one!

Hi Biggles. I was the programmer of the RV-7 gauges for FFS. It has been over a year since I've even looked at the code, but I am fairly certain it is not possible to use the BOTH position. We removed it to prevent any problems if it was somehow placed into that position. The only way to fix it would be to reprogram all the gauges.I can check for sure tomorrow, but I think that's how it is.

Took a couple extra days, but I did check the gauge code.It is indeed impossible to use BOTH in the RV-7. If you try to put it in that position, it will reset to OFF.

Guest Biggles71

A shame... thanks for checking.Bgrds,BigglesFlying was my first love and it will be my last one!

Guest Biggles71

MKaprocki While on the subject of the FFS RV7...Do you have any idea if there is a way to reduce the oil consumption? It seems on the high side at 0.5qt per hr or so...Realistically I would like to have at at about 1qt per 10 to 15hrs.Best regards,BigglesFlying was my first love and it will be my last one!

How many hours do you have on the engine? It's set to burn a bit much oil at first until the engine is broken in, then it should slow down a little. I'll check the code and get some exact numbers, however there's nothing that can be done at this point. The RV-7 belongs to FFS, which I am no longer a part of. You would have to ask them for any changes.