Sign in to follow this  
Au MaV

nose gear steering independent of the rudder

Guest adameke777

Is there a way to make nose gear steering independent of the rudder ? I currently use joystick as a tiller and pedals for rudder control. To make it act as a tiller, I assign the joystick axis to rudder. However, this causes the rudder to deflect. Is it at all possible to control the nose gear independently of the rudder ? Or does the ground steering actually occur by the yawing motion and the steerable nose gear is just a fancy visual effect ?Adam

Guest jetBlue_83

It is possible, but, you would have to have the source file for the model to do it.

>"Is it at all possible to control the nose gear independently of the rudder ? Or does the ground steering actually occur by the yawing motion and the steerable nose gear is just a fancy visual effect ?"On commercial jets, BOTH steering tiller and rudder can command the nose wheel on the ground. Rudder pedal input has a limited action on the nose wheel turn angle, usually not greater than 7-10 degrees,while a steering tiller has full authority, making the wheel rotate to its full deflection angle (normally 60 to 80 degrees) Tom

Guest adameke777

>It is possible, but, you would have to have the source file>for the model to do it. Thanks Ramon,What would I have to do with it ?Adam

Guest jetBlue_83

>>"Is it at all possible to control the nose gear>independently of the rudder ? Or does the ground steering>actually occur by the yawing motion and the steerable nose>gear is just a fancy visual effect ?">>>On commercial jets, BOTH steering tiller and rudder can>command the nose wheel on the ground. Rudder pedal input has a>limited action on the nose wheel turn angle, usually not>greater than 7-10 degrees,while a steering tiller has full>authority, making the wheel rotate to its full deflection>angle (normally 60 to 80 degrees) >>>Tom>>Heh, I remember the first time I saw that in action. It was an A343, AirJamaica, at MKJP. Man, that rudder really can swing!!! Anyways, to make nosewheel steering independent of the rudder (in FlightSim), you have to create a part, name it "c_wheel", place it above the nosewheel, link the topmost part of the whole nosegear setup(a strut or something) to it, then animate "c_wheel" the same way you would animate the topmost part of the nosegear assembly. Hopefully, this helps.

Guest Dash80

I guess I should have been more clear...I seek a ground handling model that has independent NWS and rudder control.==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

Guest VulcanB2

Hi,AFAIK, there is no way of seperating the inputs in FS for rudder only and tiller only - they are all linked to the rudder input ultimately within FS, so moving the rudder will ALWAYS control the steering.I've noticed that more fundamentally, the Y axis (roll) will also control the steering. ???I think what you are trying to achieve is the impossible, without breaking out of the constraints of FS (Project Tupolev do this to get the desired effects - they require that you disable the joystick in FS).Best regards,Vulcan.

HiYou could try a sudo workaround using diferental braking.in the aircrft.cfg map out 2 phantom wheels at the nose,map these to left and right brakes(change the main gear brake mapping so it wont work as differental).If using g-max then part xml phantom parts as wheel brakes and animate them so they turn left or right when L/R brakes applyed child/paerent these to the nose wheel(fsds you will need to use an unused animation and link it all together with a xml gauge).next build a hidden xml gauge which links the differental wheel brakes to a function/keypress,tweak the wheel brakes in the contact points and braking section Not sure if any of this will work just food for thought :) In theoryit should be doable cheersWozza